Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

Makes sense. When we are traumatised part of our brain shuts down. I lost concentration and my head space shrunk to next to nothing. The part of our brain that goes into survival mode takes over. The fight, flight or freeze. Leaving not much brain for rational thinking. No wonder we feel confused during a frightening assault. Physical or emotional. And it can last long after x adding to the confusion and pushing the assault to the back of our minds

Anewbreath
      Participant

That’s good to know Kip. What I find interesting too is how we heal from trauma, and how some research has found we heal more completely when we address the trauma memory that resides in the body tissues, our hips for example, or our necks.. Not just our brains… So just talking (counselling) some doctors argue, isn’t enough to bring about complete wellness from trauma…

Borntobefree
      Participant

Hi kip.

I’ve been in a 12 week therapy program
      Talking about what trauma does to our brains

I felt like I was going crazy when I was with my ex

It’s Gas lighting

I’ve done nothing but educute myself
      On trauma .

I have ptsd now the pain from flash backs
      I would not wish on anyone

KIP.
      Participant

I have ptsd. I didn’t receive trauma councelling because there was a court case coming up which I think is disgraceful. They left me to face that nightmare without help and that was wrong. They put a court case befor my mental wellbeing and it took more than (detail removed by Moderator) to get to court. So now I’m trying to make sense of it all. Trauma needs to be dealt with asap.

Borntobefree
      Participant

It was the police that reffered me to mental health kip .I was diagnosed with ptsd..due to.my ex using my past against me ..

I asked if I was crazy she said no

And I had to carry on with women’s aid

My mental health suffered

Even with that I was let down

I angry kip sorry for venting x

Ayanna
      Participant

KIP, do you think the lack of support has done something to the way you perceive life?
      I am sure this has happened to me.
      I see everybody as my enemy and I instantly go into fighting mode.
      I am very uncomfortable in company.
      I cannot tolerate when people touch me or want to hug me, I have to run.
      When I have flashbacks I scream my lungs out.
      I still have difficulties focussing.
      I cannot read a book. I can only read short passages, then I have to stop.
      I know this would not have gotten so bad had I received support early. Now it is more or less too late.

Freedomfighter
      Participant

Hi Kip, I definitely feel like my brain has shrunk! But I don’t think it’s ever too late. Admittedly the longer we’re abused, the longer it takes to undo the damage, but that’s not the same as there being no hope. Never say never.😊

puzzledatlife
      Participant

The helpline told me to get specific aid for the trauma. I started counselling too but will also go through that route of trauma help.
      Btw my ex as if nothing texted happy new year hope u and my son are fine. Idiot. How can we be fine?.now he’s “liking” my friends post and my poats on fb. He is under developed. Regressed to age 8. No…actually my son even at 8 wouldn’t do this.

KIP.
      Participant

Yes Ayanna I’m left with a kind of paranoia and yes I too cannot concentrate on long paragraphs. My good psychologist told me that it’s imperative that trauma is dealt with quickly. Before the damage is done to relationships and work but I know I’ve improved and am going to go back for a session or two. Even though it’s very expensive I think I need it for the trauma I’m left with. I’m gobsmacked that I’m still functioning after the lack of proper mental health care.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content