Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      tobehappy
      Participant

Kids are pretty teen but my daughter especially struggles as she tries to fit the pieces together. They frequently see their dad. I just wondered if there was anything out there that directly related to abusive father’s? X

Confused123
      Participant

hey hun

my child struggled too, iots heartbreaking to watch them have to find the truth out themselves, itrs part of the journey and yours, in time it becomes easier to explain things in a effective way

Sunshine
      Participant

I’d also like to hear if anyone knows of some child friendly books to help children. I have searched the internet right enough, there may well be done on that!

Ruby2shoes
      Participant

Me too thanks if anyone knows.

fizzylem
      Participant

No books. This is one of the most difficult aspects for me now. I’m out and have covered up for him for years, my daughter sees him and it gets difficult to answer her questions and cover up or glide over why we no longer speak, why he cant come round; she kind of accepts things are the way they are, but it does cause problems for her sometimes, when he says things to her that he shouldn’t, like blaming me or her for something, or when it becomes apparent she is trying to manage a difficulty that under other circumstances wouldn’t occur as both parents can talk and sort things out for the child. She does know he had a temper on him and that things have changed for the better there these days; and she also knows he breaks his promises and lies to her. Leaves me feeling so sad as I don’t want her to accept these things and thus either be this way herself or accept this is part of being in a relationship with others. He did teach her how to blow and fly with aggression, its taken a number of years but finally now I think she has / is learning that its much better not to lash out and verbalise what it is that leaves her feeling angry so we can problem solve together without being violent and abusive – she now knows this is a much better way to be – but it has been a long haul mind.

I think talking to other mum’s helps a great deal, I go to the Freedom program in my area for this very reason really, so I can hear and learn how others handle things and what they have said to their children.

Appleblossom
      Participant

Evening ladies,

I found a really good book – when daddy hurts mummy” by Lundy Bancroft. It’s well written and has some good case studies. I found it gave me the strength and belief that I was doing the right thing by protecting the most precious thing in the world to me, my daughter. It gives good ideas about how to talk about things in an age appropriate way. Good luck ladies. Keep fighting the good fight. Even on the wobbly days xx

iwillbeok
      Participant

I’ve just ordered Lundy’s book above. I found ‘Why does he do that’ immensely useful when I had escaped my abuser.

I saw Pat Craven also has a book ‘Freedom’s Flowers’ may get it next…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content