Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      fizzylem
      Participant

Gearing myself up to try and report again. It’s daunting. A few of you may recall I tried a while back but I met with an uneducated officer working with the models that it’s only domestic abuse if you live with your partner and there’s violence. I’ve discussed it at length with my support worker and she’s supported me for a few years now, she says it’s coercive and controlling behaviour which I believe it to be as well. I went alone last time, she’s coming with me this time. I need to at least try though, need to know one way or the other whether it is a crime, fully accept the police may or may not be able to help, but need to know so I know I did all I could to try and get us and others protected, then I can put it to bed.

I’ve learnt that giving a statement alone will enusre others can access this info under Claire’s Law.

Was horrid last time, but feel strongly that any woman should not have been treated this way, would like there to be lessons learnt by the police re the best ways to handle cases like this – if this is possible. Apparently, they are reknowned for this in my area – there have been very few convictions to date so I’m up against it. Feel this is an important part of my process though, so I can get to the place where I can walk away. Also feel they need to be more aware that we and our children can be continually subjected to the abuse through his PR and the courts so unless this is reported there will be no change.

Hoping some of you are also thinking about reporting, feel it’s so very important that we do x

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

fizzy you are so very brave going in for a second round!
      Good strategy to take a DA professional with you, this will add some weight and knowledge in your court and whatever the outcome at least you can say you’ve tried everything.

I am nowhere ready to do that, I feel I’ll need to learn much more about laws to feel confident enough to even consider attacking him.
      Meanwhile here is my input for you 🙂

Which kind of convictions were there in your area? Maybe this can clue you in on what’s to come and prepare you against/for it.
      Check out the statistical website;
      Office for national statistics
      Crime and justice
      Domestic abuse in England and Wales: year ending March 2018

How domestic abuse is dealt with at the local level within England and Wales, using annual data from the Crime Survey for England and Wales, police recorded crime and a number of different organisations.

This release has been created with the input of few organisations amongst which of course CPS and our lovely Women’d Aid.
      Please find the table of contents below:
      Main points
      Things you need to know about this release
      Understanding domestic abuse
      Prevalence of domestic abuse
      Domestic abuse recorded by the police
      Police responses to domestic abuse
      Outcomes of domestic abuse-related offences
      Police referrals to the Crown Prosecution Service
      Crown Prosecution Service prosecutions and convictions
      Domestic violence remedy orders
      Domestic abuse-related offences – specific crime types
      Services available to victims of domestic abuse
      Future work and ongoing development
      Quality and methodology
      Annex 1: Stages of the criminal justice process
      Annex 2: Glossary
      If you can’t find it, I’ll send you the link via private message.

You go girl! 💪👩‍⚖️

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content