Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      PinkFlamingo
      Participant

Currently shaking. Just spoken to 101 after being advised to report historical abuse and to state to be on his record. ‘Under the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (known as “Clare’s Law”), a future partner of his would be able to ask the police if he has a history of domestic abuse.’

Shaking, I feel I got off lightly compared to some people and glad I manage to end it when I did. Police man was very reassuring that I had done the right thing. I have said I don’t want him to know I’ve done anything but I really feel strongly that it should be on his record and I know a previous partner tried to report him to the police but it was his word against hers. So I hope this will show that he really is not a safe person.

KIP.
      Participant

Well done. I too reported my ex. It won’t be her word against his anymore. This is how many of these abuser are finally charged because other victims statements can be used as evidence. They think they are so clever abusing us in private but they’re really not that clever at all. Well done to you. Onwards and upwards x

Dragonfly
      Participant

Iv’e often wondered about this. Can you clarify. He went on trial after I dialled 999 for him assaulting me. He was found not guilty because of his word/my word nonsense. So because he’s ‘innocent’ I wondered if there is any record of him having assaulted me or even that there was an investigation and trial. I’m trying to ask if this is still on his record even tho got away with it??

And well done for reporting xx

KIP.
      Participant

The police will keep your statement and the details of the assault. Should another woman use Claire’s Law they will be told he has been charged and there have been previous accusations. Just because there wasn’t enough evidence doesn’t mean he is innocent. In fact there has to be evidence for him to be charged so it will all be recorded.

iwillbeok
      Participant

Does this mean that if he was arrested but not charged that information would not be available to someone under Claire’s Law? If not, is this something I can request be added to his record?

Iwillbeok x

Dragonfly
      Participant

Thanks for clarifying Kip. This makes me feel so much better 🙂

KIP.
      Participant

I would advise any woman who has been assaulted to give a statement to the police. If another woman asks under Claire’s Law. Even if there was never an arrest, the police have the discretion to advise of previous reports. Not just previous convictions. So they might say that this man has been reported for domestic abuse three times before but has never been charged. Obviously they wouldn’t give details but at least the new woman would know she wasn’t being paranoid.

Gemma
      Participant

I have recently come out of a (Detail removed by Moderator) year relationship with a man who controlled every aspect of my life. Because of him, I did not see my son, father and sister for (Detail removed by Moderator) years. Mentally he controlled and terrified me. I have recently found out he has connected with someone the way he did with me all those years ago, on-line. From the information I have been given this new relationship will follow a similar pattern. I was wondering if he has done it before, before us. And if there is a way of me finding out. I was just glad to get away. But what he has done to me has ruined my life and almost destroyed my mental health. I don’t want this to happen to anyone else. My scars are not physical. They are hidden. I am (Detail removed by Moderator), homeless, with no money and have to start again. Luckily my family have been brilliant, no thanks to him it tcould have been so different.

KIP.
      Participant

I meant to say abused not assaulted. I would advise any woman who has been abused to make a statement. Whatever kind of abuse doesnt matter. It paints a bigger picture. Financial, physical, mental, emotional, sexual. Please report x obviously your safety comes first

maddog
      Participant

Dragonfly, just because he was found Not Guilty doesn’t mean he didn’t do it. Often these verdicts are made due to lack of evidence and the myths that abound. V hard for you. Please remember that you are still believed and that it still happened.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content