Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      MewTheCat
      Participant

I was abused in childhood (and my adult life before I found a way out) and am trying to recover and move on from it. It was not physical or sexual (as my abuser liked to point out) and wasn’t done by a partner but my step father. I’ve been trying to find resources and read books to try to help me move on. But I’m stating to feel even more alone than before. It feels like people forget that the kids of abused women grow up and have to live with it. The kids are often mentioned as an adjacent to the woman being abused. What happens when that child has to be a self sufficient adult before they are even able to contemplate escaping? What happens when the mother stands idly by for decades while the child gets abused? It is horrible for the mother yes, but surely there should be more resources for people that have gone through not only abuse as adults but as children too.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi MewTheCat,

It’s important you’re able to get the help you need to address what you have been through in your childhood and heal.
      You may already be aware of the service, but The National Association of People Abused in Childhood offer support and counselling for those abused in childhood.
      I hope this is useful.
      Take care,

Lisa

Grey Rock
      Participant

Hi. Glad you’re here posting but sorry fir what brings you here.
      Have you ever heard of the recovery group ACOA? It stands for Adult Children of Alcoholics and Disfunctional Families. They have a website where you can find out about it and if there are any groups in your area. It may be useful.

GR xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi hun, as Lisa stated the NAPAC phoneline and website are good resources (I phoned them quite a bit after the freedom course sessions) I also had an abusive parentage that left me vulnerable to later adult abusive relationships so your not on your own (even though you probably feel it sometimes) don’t let anyone dictate how you feel inside, you know what the truth is “that’s your power” 💜 🦄 🧚🏻‍♀️

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content