Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      iwillbeok
      Participant

Silly really, but this has been on my mind every now and then, in amongst dealing with the hurt he caused over decades of marriage. At first I was thinking I couldn’t be bothered with the faff of changing after I divorce him, different surname from the kids etc…

Now I’m wondering…

Like I said, silly really, in that it seems a little insignificant to all the other problems I’m dealing with right now…

X

KIP.
      Participant

I started reverting right away and found it empowering. The only real problem/expense was the passport. For this I needed to wait for divorce papers. I also told my son that I was doing it and it had nothing to do with him that it was my decision. I know my ex took it badly but that’s not why I did it. I just wanted to distance myself from him in every conceivable way. It’s not insignificant and in many ways helped me to come to terms with the change. Change can be a good thing. Painful endings are often a sign of new beginnings👏

Falling Skys
      Participant

Hi

I revented to my maiden name once i had my mortgage as any changes to your details can effect your credit score.

I felt it waa me taking me back i was nolonger his.

As kip says new belongings.

FS x

iwillbeok
      Participant

Thank you both for your replies. I tried practicing my signature with my maiden name – it felt good. I think I’ll wait until the divorce is final as it seems easier to change with documents. My mobile co wanted ‘evidence’ to change my title to ‘Ms’ ffs!

X

KIP.
      Participant

Some are easier than others. The tax office were first then I has correspondence with my maiden name from an ‘official’ source. Council tax, doctors, dentiast, gas, electricity, library card etc. All quite easy and with each one I felt a little freeer. See how you are feeling because you will need to use your energy where you get most results.

White Rose
      Participant

I opted not to change. People assumed I would – he told me I had to!! Maybe that’s one of the reasons why I didn’t!
      It’s a personal choice. My friends know me by my married name, I share it with my daughter.
      I think my main reason not to change is my maiden name is incredibly unusual and therefore very traceable. My married name is very common and I know three people in my circle of friends and in my work who share the surname along with my fist name! I can hide away from him by sharing his name.
      Do what feels right. Your name doesn’t define you – you do

iwillbeok
      Participant

Thanks White Rose, I had thought too that I have same name as my children, my friends know me as my married name, professionally too it might be a pain. Its still a musing at this point, something to distract from the other painful memories coming up at the moment; something that is looking forward. I think I’ll decide once the divorce goes through. My gut will let me know what to do – I’m trusting her more and more.
      X

bubbles
      Participant

I’m going through the divorce process now and I will be keeping my married name. My kids are my family and I see them as no part of him as I see the name I have now. His name is so much prettier than my maiden one too and easier for people to understand when I talk on the phone lol. When the kids hit the legal age i’ve talked to them about changing it but they don’t like that idea as I said my maiden name is not nice x

Sunshine
      Participant

Hi all,
      Does anyone know if you can change back to your maiden name without being divorced? With the legal fees I have at the moment for access my divorce will be years off but I would like to get rid of his name ASAP if I could..
      Sunshine X

iwillbeok
      Participant

Hi Sunshine,

You can change your name without being divorced. When I initially googled it there were companies advertising. I then found the official gov website and you can actually self declare. It’s a sinple statement that you declare that you are changing from old name to new name, sign as old and new and have it witnessed by 2 people. If you want/need (some places wont accept self deed poll) to put it through the courts, is a similar format and a fee (£36). Its put in The gazette – not sure if that might be an issue for some trying to stay under the radar as its a publicly published document (there’s a link to it on the enrollment forms page where you can see (actual) examples of name chamges published) though no address/regions for eg are given.

If you are divorced you don’t need to change by deed poll, only show your decree absolute to banks, licence etc.

Google “gov change name” & chose the link that is gov.uk

Still of two minds – and think I was letting it distract me from more important things I need to move on with.

Good luck! Xx

Dragonfly
      Participant

Reverted back to mine immediately. Only two that wouldn’t change it as I’m not divorced yet, passport and…..wait for it……O2!! Nonsense. Glad I’m using my correct name now.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content