Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      AirBlue
      Participant

I know it’s probably completely natural, but I keep ricocheting between being incredibly happy and incredibly down and anxious. The problem I don’t know whether the lows that I’m experiencing are related to my mental health, the relationship I was in or whether it’s a combination of the two.

I’ve just gone back to work/university after some time off and I just find myself getting so mentally exhausted so easily. It’s so frustrating and disheartening. I know it will probably pass, but it’s hard to weather.

iwillbeok
      Participant

Hi AirBlue,

Being completely natural doesn’t really doesn’t make it much easier though does it? It is truly a rollercoaster; sometimes days at a time; others hour by hour. But it does get easier. I think my mental health is completely linked with my previous relationship. I was am naturally a happy-go-lucky, positive person. It’s only from being in this toxic relationship for decades that my self-esteem, motivation and outlook on life hit rockbottom. He was such a negative (detail removed by Moderator) – he just sucked the fun out of life! And the life out of me!

I do find it more difficult to keep positive and motivated when I’m exhausted. The snow ‘beasts’, for example, nearly did me in! But I survived!

I try to remember that “this too will pass”. It can be difficult, but try and gently tell yourself that the down days will pass. Try and take care of yourself – I know we are so used to putting ourselves last and just running on adrenalin. It sometimes feels easier said than done!

Be gentle with yourself. (I’m talking to me here too!) 🙂

iwillbeok xx

AirBlue
      Participant

Thank you, iwillbeok. I’m so sorry that you are in a similar position, but it really helps to know that I’m not alone in experiencing this.

It is incredibly hard to be positive and upbeat at the moment. I do feel like a strong sense of myself has gone missing and I’m just walking through fog at the moment. I know that it’s going to take time to get back to some semblance of normality, but it’s just frustrating to be pushed back so far.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content