Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      gold for a king
      Participant

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/19/russian-victims-domestic-violence-abuse-forced-pay-perpetrator-fines

An interesting issue. I remember my abusive ex telling me his lawyers were arguing this point in (detail removed by moderator) as when he was arrested we had joint bank accounts so, therefore, any fine the (detail removed by moderator) imposed on him would automatically be half inflicted on me. In reality, there is no fine that can compensate for any shape or form of the abuse so in my eyes the bigger the fine the more of the bother either way. When I left him and after a period of time our joint accounts ended and his fine is completely his liability. If however I didn’t leave then I guess I would still be paying for it in installments.

Do you think the courts should refrain from dishing out big fines for domestic abuse and should they chase the victim if they continue to support the perpetrator in the form of financial co-dependancy?

Ayanna
      Participant

That happens in Russia, a crazy country, where men are terribly violent without much repercussions.

The fine is for the perpetrator and not for the victim.
      Victim support should help the victims to separate financial matters so that the fines are left for the perps.

KIP.
      Participant

I think the victim should be consulted on the sentence. I think the victim should be compensated. Not the court. I was.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content