Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

I want to do voluntary work but that means telling the benefits office that I am volunteering which means I’m drawing attention to myself and scared that they try to push me back to paid work which is what they did in the past. So I had my ex abusing me not to work and the benefits office trying to force me to work. The whole system terrifies me that I’m not capable yet and I fall flat on my face and am left with no money. Has anyone made that successful leap? I had thought of volunteering and not saying anything for a while to see if I can manage but this brings its own anxiety.

Confused123
      Participant

hi hun

i would recommend u do that , try it first and see how u get on first and if you can get regular hours

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Volunteering shouldn’t affect your benefits, depending on which type you are on. There were a lot of people who had a disability and received related benefits who volunteered at my last volunteer place, it is very normal and healthy for people to want to volunteer. I think the only time it can affect it is say if you were on jobseekers allowance and it meant you were missing their appointments, but otherwise I don’t think it usually affects it or at least it shouldn’t. Do you have a support worker at the job centre who you can talk to about it? I totally get the fear though as this week I took on my first work shift in ages and I’m terrified it will mess things up and I’ll be without money but I took a leap of faith because I can’t bear the thought of being stuck on benefits forever and never being able to earn money again, I never intended to end up on them in the first place. I think if you start small like Confused123 said it would be best and I am not even certain you have to declare all types of volunteering because you are not gaining income from it?

KIP.
      Participant

I’m on JSA but the kind you don’t need to report to job centre. Basically they wrote me off because of my mental illness. He went nuts when I volunteered before so it didn’t last long. The rules are that I have to tell them if I do voluntary work. It won’t affect my benefits but it’s been a while since I had an assessment (years) and the last time they tried to force me to go in for an assessment which traumatised me. I told them I suffered from panic attacks and needed the first appointment. Which was given to me 9am. They took me at 920 and by then I was climbing the walls and in tears. The doc told me she needed 20 minutes to read my file! I really really want to do this voluntary work. I think I will try it first before telling them and if they find out I will just have to explain that I didn’t know if I could handle it. The job centre were really bad the last time.

Serenity
      Participant

Hi KIP,

I’m not sure about what affects your benefits, but I
      suppose engaging in some volunteer work will help you to
      gauge how ready you are to be back in the world of work.

I would say go slowly, and maybe go for something that you will find therapeutic. I remember a while ago you spoke about taking care of pets for women who have to leave them behind when they go into refuge? Animals are a comfort and a good icebreaker when attempting to go back into the real and busy world.

Ayanna
      Participant

Back yourself up with a solicitor from the CAB.

gold for a king
      Participant

I used to sell cosmetics as a rep for a well known company and I got a lot out of it. Being able to work as much or as little as I wanted was great. Getting out and about but never too far from home was ideal. I only did it to meet other women in my local area even if it was only briefly. I didn’t have to worry if I messed things up because it was only make-up after all which gave some relief from the stress at home. I packed it in when the domestic abuse got bad but it gave me a lot of confidence which I fell back on after I left my abuser.

When I left I went on JSA but after only 2 days they put me on Enterprise Allowance for self employment. I told them that I was drawing and painting and they helped me make a business plan. I got £65 per week for the first 13 weeks and £33pw for the second 13 weeks on top of £53pw working tax credit. It was a lot more than JSA and part of the deal was that I could keep any profits and they wouldn’t hassle me to go into employment. Really I used the 26weeks as a break and the drawing and painting as a therapeutic hobby.

After the 26 weeks was up I only received the £53pw working tax credit so I used the skills and confidence I gained from selling as a rep to set up my own business working from home. It was tough but I managed to do it gradually getting myself into full paying work.

Hope that helps in some way.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content