Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Gymshark
      Participant

Hi,
      I am new and just trying to learn if I am experiencing emotional abuse from my dad. There are numerous incidents that have happened including being locked in the car for not playing well at (detail removed by Moderator) or being scared I would hold my bedroom door handle. Most recently (detail removed by Moderator) when driving on a dual carriageway (detail removed by Moderator) he shouted telling me I’m the reason he wants to die. He got out and walked across. We got home ok.
      He will shout, get angry and swear frequently and if I question him he turns it back on me.
      He makes comments about how loud I am at eating and I don’t like it.
      He also will make comments about death when turning the tables back on me ie ‘(detail removed by Moderator)’. So I will feel bad for being upset or hurt by his actions.
      Any suggestions or advice welcome.
      Thank you for your help.

cirrocumulus
      Participant

Hello Gymshark and welcome

Yes, I think this is emotional abuse and you are not alone here as my parents have behaved in a similar manner towards me. My dad sends me abusive messages. He claims to have a life-threatening condition and writes me to say he’ll be gone soon. Only the messages keep coming so clearly it’s not that life-threatening. At an important life event my mum told me to hurry up and finish eating. The social situation was probably making her feel uncomfortable, but I don’t think that’s really an excuse for such behaviour.
      Society expects us to have loving, supportive relationships with our parents. I find it’s really hard to get people, including therapists, to understand that this is not always the case.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ Jobs

EXIT SITE

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account