Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Janedoeissad
      Participant

I have been attending kick boxing classes as I find the work outs help keep my anger at life to a minimum (you can’t be mad if you are utterly knackered!). I am very angry at the world right now, which I know will pass but in the meantime I do not want do inflict my anger on others.

Part of the classes are self defence. I have found these parts of the sessions fascinating. I know that it is not wise to confront an abusive person and I never would but knowing that I could defend myself if I needed to is very confidence building. I left last weeks session feeling 10 feet tall and ready to take on the world.

The teacher explains the mindset of bully’s and tell you tactics of how to just get yourself out of that situation. I believe his motto is something along the lines of “your best defence is a good pair of running shoes”.

These sessions are a good part of my “package” of recovery and I just wanted to share it.

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Dear Janedoeissad

Haven’t seen you for a while. Good post; had been thinking similar myself.

Are they womens groups? I don’t know enough about the defense arts to make a choice 😳

Warmest wishes
      TS

KIP.
      Participant

Hi there. I recently discovered the gym. It’s the exercise that burns the anxiety too. It gives you good endorphins too so I leave they gym refreshed and also sleep better and have a positive outlook. I know in the early stages of recovery it’s really difficult to get motivated but I can’t recommend exercise enough x

fizzylem
      Participant

This sounds amazing! So good to read. Anything that helps shift the anger hey, but feeling good and getting fit is priceless! xx

Janedoeissad
      Participant

Thanks for all your messages.

KIP, I think my anger may be an anxiety symptom. It certainly disappears after a good session at kickboxing! I do sleep better and I feel good for a few days after. Definitely worth while. I’ve been walking a lot too and so far I’ve lost 2 stone and feel great. So its a win win situation.

Twisted Sister, it is a ladies only class. The guy who hosts it is so nice and respectful. He is a true motivator though and pushes us all to our absolute limit whilst being really positive and telling us how fab we are all doing.

Fizzylem, it is amazing. It has done me so much good. These are trial sessions I’ve signed up to but I may well sign up permanently and start doing kick boxing properly. I’d get graded and stuff and ultimately could be a black belt. Which sounds pretty cool. Also what better way to know that you could handle yourself in any situation (legally!).

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content