Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Ayanna
      Participant

Perpetrators are not punished hard enough.
      More and more countries change the laws and accept domestic abuse again.
      I wonder whether this trend has reached the UK already.
      What can we women do?
      I am concerned, that more women will be killed in the future because the perpetrators are protected more than ever by patriarchy.

KIP.
      Participant

Hey Ayanna it was a female judge that badly let me down! The female prosecutor was a waste of space too. A female police officer who accused me of wasting police time for ringing 101 when my peep was at the bottom of my street with an assault conviction! A female judge at the same court jailed a wife for contempt of court because she wouldn’t testify against her husband. She was the victim/witness! Both genders need educating. It saddened me more that the female judge let me down. I thought she would have realised how terrified I was and acted accordingly. Let’s keep trying to raise awareness x

WalkerInTheRain
      Participant

My local paper has a weekly list of offenders and their sentencing in court.
      A guy stealing deodorant got more than a man who beat up his partner.
      How on earth is that justifiable?
      I admire Theresa May for what she’s planning with new laws but she’s a long way off turning the tide on attitudes towards abuse.

fizzylem
      Participant

I think the main problem is that until a person has experienced it you either don’t understand or don’t want to know. I also feel confronted by misunderstanding re why did you allow it to happen and to continue? Sigh.

EeyoreNoMore
      Participant

Plus the fact that we don’t talk about it as a society.

Just like mental illness was taboo, domestic abuse is now.

I want to educate everyone I can. If we all touch someone who then passes the message to the next person change will come.

jellybeanqueen
      Participant

I hope things change soon…the justice system is a joke when it comes to domestic violence!! My ex did get a prison sentence but no where near the outcome I was expecting.

Ayanna
      Participant

I was let down a lot by females too.
      A female police officer told me off for shouting for help.
      A female judge gave him a very mild sentence that did ignore all his breaches of the bail conditions and did not mention anything of what he had done to me.
      A female judge made him interview me in the family court and pay him out.

These are the women who collude with patriarchy because they think it benefits them personally. These are the brainwashed traitors of us women. Patriarchy only functions because of the women traitors.

Jupiter
      Participant

Agree about patriarchy totally. Male needs are primary and women do cooperate because it is anything for a quiet life along with fear or lack of interest. Or much to gain too. We as survivors are sacrificed by injustice lack of help and general invisibility.

When I reported a problem recently, the female officer was really nice and looked after me .Then another female visited me re security issues,nothing more. I could sense something uncomfortable from her by intuition. it was a quick visit but before leaving she told me she noticed my trauma diagnosis in the notes and said not to worry about the stigma.Sensing her enjoyment. I hit back, educating her that this is a normal response.I was annoyed and could pick up some sort of bullying tactic. Before exiting, she blamed me for the issue, adding that I had been’ naive.’ ??
      The rest of that evening, I had severe panic attacks thinking that it was my fault because of that female’s reaction.
      That was (detail removed by Moderator) years ago now but I didnt report her inappropriate comments as I feared that ptsd would become the focus.
      I was reminded of more injustice even at that level.Took ages to recover.She might as well have been a man .
      Jupiter

Anonymous
      Inactive

I myself was let down by police .my ex lied through his teeth saying i was the unstable.one .and i was obsessed with him and it was unhealthy. Police also said why did i not just leave! Its not that easy . I never seen the red flags at the start . Yes iam vunerable but i did not deserve ptsd because of him .love does not hurt nor sleep around and then he tells me he loves me .what a crock of poop

Nova
      Participant

Ladies quite right to say…They don’t get a sentence which reflects the crime. Abuse is criminal ..Though most cases don’t ever get to court…Unless you’ve been there imagine trying to convince anyone that Mr Nice is capable of any of this…He said to me ..If I’m the things you say I am you wouldn’t have me back ( turning it back on me like I’m imagining it all)…Which confused me even more….As that’s what the outside world generally thinks. Like lots of issues, if it doesn’t come into my world then, why bother type of attitude..Not on

Cx

Ayanna
      Participant

I tell people: Do not provoke me, I have untreated PTSD. Hahahaha!
      The astonished looks ….
      Someone once told me to wear my trauma like a crown.
      I am getting there ….

Nova
      Participant

Well said Ayanna, it cheers me to read your strong sense of self…(even in the middle of the night..When I should be asleep!)
      Good woman! Cx

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content