Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Starstruck
      Participant

Is there anybody there who has had to relocate to another part of country? I’m normalised to the risk of murder but authorities are very concerned. I keep wondering if I am overdramatising. I would like to connect with others for their experience of relocation, how they felt about it and if there is a better life out there?

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Starstruck,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have just started posting here. I hope you find this a safe and supportive place to share what you are going through.

Hopefully other women will soon come forward here and share their experiences with relocating after fleeing an abusive relationship. I’m sure many can relate and provide useful information on how they felt it went.

In the meantime, you can also get in touch with your local domestic abuse service, where workers can offer their knowledge and expertise on what to expect and all the options available to you to relocate safely. Often there are group sessions available, where you can discuss with other women potentially on this subject. Given that certain authorities, as you say, are already quite concerned, demonstrates a need to be safe and removed from where you are. A local domestic abuse worker can liaise with any professionals already involved, to make sure your needs are met properly.

The Survivor’s Handbook includes information about the help and support available to survivors, including information about refuges, injunctions, child contact and safety planning.

Perhaps reading other categories of discussion on this forum, like ‘Refuges and emergency accommodation’, and ‘Leaving an abusive relationship’ can add some perspective too.

Take care and keep posting.

Lisa

swanlake
      Participant

Hello!
      I relocated to the next county but quite far away from home.
      It’s been different to not have old haunts and familiar faces that were triggering. It’s nice not thinking about if I’ll encounter my abuser whilst out and about.
      Most of all I’ve made a happy new life and a new home. I have supportive friends in local groups and still keep in touch with family and friends where I used to live.

BuBu
      Participant

Hi Startstruck,

sorry this might not be helpful, but I am currently wondering about the same thing. My abuser expressed many times now, that he wants to see me dead, and I still cannot believe that he would be able to hurt me, however I feel like my mind has been manipulated so long, that I cannot see my situation clearly and I might actually be under reacting this. In my case as well authorities are concerned about our safety, so I wonder if that is because they have the experience that I don’t have. I am really considering to make this move, cause it’s better to be safe than sorry. I hope you will have some people sharing their experience with you, but I feel for you.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content