Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

Something occurred to me yesterday.

I have written before how one of my sisters has no empathy. She seems to want to punish people for struggling, has a very moralistic way about her and makes people feel ashamed just for being human.

She has a job with some responsibility. For some reason, I found myself asking after one of their friends when I last saw them. I was shocked to hear that he’d taken his life.

When I asked why, my sister brushed it off and said that people didn’t know many details, but he’s been depressed.

When so mentioned it to my brother in law, he told mr a bit more. He said that this friend of his had been very depressed after losing his mother. (detail removed by Moderator) Apparently, he’d been neglectful in some way in his job, probably due to the depression.

Now, I’m not saying that he should have been allowed to continue. If he was a liability due to his mental state, then of course he should not have been allowed to continue. But bearing in mind his depression, I would have thought it was important to deal with it professionally but with some level of compassion.

If my sister was involved (detail removed by Moderator), I am pretty sure that her methods would have been harsh and lacking in any compassion. She doesn’t recognise that people’s emotions need to be cared for. She really goes about things in a harsh and moralistic manner, making people feel dehumanised, to put it bluntly.

I hadn’t joined the dots until yesterday, as all my hurt and angry came pouring out. But I feel quite sick that maybe this man taking his own life may have had something to do with the way never was treated. Ok, I may be wrong. Maybe my sister’s methods had nothing to do with it at all. But I feel quite sickened thinking it could have had a bearing. And my sister didn’t divulge to me (detail removed by Moderator)– her husband told me.

I have been at the receiving end of my sister’s cruel judgement. She once sent my legs into catatonic spasm by being so unkind. My sister is very much one of those people for whom the end justifies the means. She doesn’t think about her methods, just the end target- but someone’s methods can be inhumane.

Anabela
      Participant

I understand why you have the thoughts like that. It’s hard to question why a person killed himself and what was the last straw for him and if things were done in a different manner, could that be avoided especially as you know the nature of your sister and how insensitive she could be.
      (detail removed by Moderator) ago the best friend of my ex killed himself. When he told me that, the first question i wanted to ask: what have you done to him. Because what shocked me the most that I was not surprised. Some time before I remember thinking that his friendship with my partner at a time is not healthy ( from what i heard my ex talking about him). I dont know the reasons behind his suicide. He had relationship issues and i did not know him well anyway. But i always felt that that suicide might have something to do with my ex. Although i might be completely wrong.

Serenity
      Participant

It’s horrible to think that they may have had a part to play, isn’t it, Anabela? Though we will never know, I think it brings home just how important it is to keep insensitive and abusive people at a safe distance.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

That sounds awful Serenity, I would imagine that tragically your sister’s callous behaviour towards him at his lowest point will have at least contributed to his depression and decision to take his own life.

I am deeply troubled by the way society seems to be run by people like this – callous, unemotional, lacking in empathy, power hungry rather than kind, compassionate people. If empaths ruled the world it would be a very different place although we’d have to figure out what to do with all the sociopaths.

I read an interesting article the other day written by a super rich man. He was warning others like him that ‘he sees pitchforks in the future’ because in the past when things have got crazily unequal and unfair, eventually people get so angry that they revolt like in the French revolution. He says history has shown us time and time again that this will happen, and like Marie Antionette, the super rich are now back to flaunting their grotesque wealth whilst the rest of us wonder how we can pay our rent on increasingly low wages.

I have been isolating myself a lot lately because I feel like the world is very sociopathic, I feel like an empath in a sociopath world and feel surrounded by cold, harsh, rude, abrupt, crude, offensive, sexist, revolting people. I feel ill if I ever read the news these days, or read comments people write on facebook, there does seem to be many horrible people out there. Maybe as empathic people it is our responsibility to fight back and not let these people get away with this sort of thing. I imagine many suicides have been triggered by the callous behaviour of others. It definitely sounds like a good idea to go low/no contact with your sister, she sounds completely lacking in empathy.

Serenity
      Participant

Thank you, Sunshine.

I believe that kindness and compassion are so important when someone is genuinely struggling. Anything else is inhumane.

I feel that she’s always been interfering and for some reason seems entitled to set herself up as judge and jury over people. If she did have anything to do with his choosing suicide, then she has crossed a line and there is no turning back from that.

I was reading an article the other day about how- if anything good can come out of Brexit- it will be that ruthless business people will not be able to exploit overseas workers as easily, and will have to abide by laws protecting employees in this country. There is ruthlessness all around, and we must fight it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content