Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

I have signed up to an organisation where I will offer a couple of hours a week voluntary help to struggling families.

Their problems might be related to illness, debt, divorce, abuse. The problems can be wide-ranging.

You don’t need previous training. All they ask is that you are a parent yourself- their only ‘rule.’ You attend training days throughout the year on the different aspects, and you even attend two or three social events annually where you get together with other helpers.

I’m feeling really happy about making this move. I used to do a similar job in a paid capacity. But I want it to be voluntary: I want to go against my ex’s philosophy of never doing anything for anyone unless money is involved. I want to actively life a life opposite to him. He never helped anyone in his life.

Also, giving back to others, I can share my knowledge and I am also proving that he didn’t destroy me: I still have resources and energy to give to others.

Melanie Tonia Evans says that recovering from abuse means recovering that ability to love and be loved. Well, I want my life to be caring in action, proving that he hasn’t destroyed that essential aspect of my personality which always involved helping others. The bit that my ex ridiculed.

We just need to give our energy to those who deserve it, that’s all.

Beenherebefore
      Participant

That’s fantastic news Serenity!! Well done you 🙂 Thank you for a really inspiring post.

Last night I was looking myself for a way that I can help those in need. I would like it to be with those who have suffered abuse as I want to help others just as I was helped. I am also going to do some fundraising this year and have enquired about Walk 4. I am not a parent so couldn’t look into what you’re doing but I feel inspired to keep finding something that I will be able to do.

And you are so right, my ex was the same – ‘only do something if you are paid for it’ mentality. I was always against that and think giving our time and support is worth so very much in this current climate. I desperately want to help others and I believe I am in the right frame of mind to do so now.

Thank you Serenity x x

KIP.
      Participant

Well done. My ex was outwardly charming and helpful but behind peoples back he would ridicule them. I worry Serenity that it may be triggering for you especially hearing stories of abuse first hand. Please be very careful. I know its something im nowhere ready to do. I still need all my time to keep working on my own recovery. I hope it works out for you but stay on guard. Theres no shame in backing off meantime if it becomes too triggering. Good luck 😃

Serenity
      Participant

Thanks, KIP. It wouldn’t be until later in the year and only for 1-2 hours a week. I miss that kind of work.

Of course, if I get triggered, I will know to be honest with them. I have an interview in a few weeks’ time and will be honest about my situation x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Serenity You are amazing & it will be so beneficial to others to help them, I would love to do the same when I am a little better, I think you are exactly right my ex absolutely hated me helping anyone & would scold me for it, so to help others would be a way to feel positive, that you can now do this without being put down for It. Good luck with it, I so hope that before too long I can help others too, I’d just love that x

Nova
      Participant

Just spotted this Serenity! So brilliant, I bet you’ll be great!

What a good move and so positive, and be nuts for the people you will meet, lucky them to have such caring insightful support & understanding in their times of need.

Big Hugs
      Cx

Jupiter
      Participant

Hi Serenity

Well done re your plan to help others.You have a big heart and a lot of courage. Take care and let us know how

you get on.

Jupiter X

Nova
      Participant

…ps just reread..I don’t know why it says and be nuts.. must have spellchecked ….it’ll be great Serenity.

Hugs
      Cx

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

This sounds wonderful Serenity, well done for being proactive and doing something so positive that helps others (the way you help us all on here!)

I was thinking recently how it’s more important than ever that I put my love and kindness into the world to balance out the cruelty of my abuser, to create a sort of cosmic balance I suppose. We are all kind and caring women who have a lot to give, it’s so much better when we give that love and care to people who deserve it rather than it getting sucked into the black holes inside every abuser. I too used to mentor people too and have looked at doing it voluntarily again although I need to find paid work first. I think it’s something I’ll sign up to once I’ve got a few more things put into place.

Thanks for being positive and inspiring!

Ayanna
      Participant

Wow, Serenity!
      I also signed up to Melanie Tonia Evans 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content