Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Buddy
      Participant

Hi all, not a long one tonight but since I asked hubby about lack of intamicy and he turned it into an argument calling me makes, ( I was trying to open up a conversation , so in my eyes done nothing wrong)
      He is not looking at me , talking to me .. I haven’t done anything .. baring in mind I am not talking to him either but I haven’t done anything it his place to apologise ..
      maybe something small but it’s driving me insane xx

gettingtired
      Participant

I can’t broach the subject of lack of intimacy either. He just gets all stroppy making out I’m making him feel bad and pathetic that he doesnt ever really want to do it. I dont think it’s unreasonable to be able to speak to your partner about it. without them behaving this way! x

Buddy
      Participant

Hi gettingtired,
      Is it an ego thing ? He shouted at me saying why would I want to have sex with you .. you moan and winge all the time .
      I do not moan all the time .. I am more positive than him .. I am sick of him defining who I am .
      He set that seed in my head now and I am questioning if I do moan .. this is what they do to u !
      Tbh .. I don’t really want to be intimate withim , I dislike him currently , but was thinking it may help things between us , I thought maybe he was moody etc as wasn’t havi g sex .. obviously my bad for bringing it up .
      What u think the reason is your hubby isn’t interested .. it’s a form of control sometimes x

gettingtired
        Participant

Hi @buddy, what an awful thing to say to you! Like you I am sick of him defining me!
        I’m also in the same boat as you with trying to detach myself to make it less painful when I do hopefully have the strength to leave. I also wish I didnt I feel anything for him. Have you googled trauma bonding yet? That’s my problem.
        I’ve no idea why my boyfriend doesnt really ever want intimacy. He usually just says he gets anxious about it or just totally doesnt feel like it. It’s exhausting trying to figure them out isnt ot? Xx

KIP.
      Participant

It’s just another form of abuse. Mind games. When you want something it gives him the power to deny and hurt you which is what he enjoys. Now ignoring you is gaslighting. It makes you think you’ve don’t something wrong because why would someone ignore and punish you if you had done nothing wrong? It’s crazy making behaviour designed to throw you off balance and come running with an apology for something you never did. It’s a power trip for him. Makes him feel great but destroys our inner soul. To be rejected at our most vulnerable shatters our confidence. He knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s had years of practice.

Buddy
      Participant

Hi kip .. I know you are so right about this , as I know for a fact I have done nothing wrong , I guessed he was gaslighting next .. what a weird way to treat someone you are supposed to love , the mother of your children .
      I agree with everything you say .. I thought it and so happy you have confirmed it x

Buddy
      Participant

I am onto him , if only he knew , it must be killing him I am not trying to make up !!
      What do u do in these situations ?
      Give silent treatment back ? Xx

KIP.
      Participant

You carry on with your own life. Building a better one somewhere where you aren’t abused x don’t turn it into a t*t for tat game because he will always win. Get in with your own life. Make new friends, take up new hobbies and build your confidence and self esteem to a point where you truly believe you’re worth more than this. Don’t be dragged into his games. Step back from the crazy

Buddy
      Participant

Kip , I already do this, own life etc .. I am quite confident , not ready to take the leap I admit .. detaching myself to make it less painful when the time comes . Would love to get to the point where I hate him but not there yet .
      What’s holding me back is needing to stay in the area I live as children’s school / life my work is here and it’s too expensive for me to buy and rent ..
      also as the children have their life here I am worried if I move to a cheaper area they may not want to come , especially my son as he is old enough to decide x

KIP.
      Participant

There’s a fine balance between exposing you all to an abuser and the dysfunction this brings and staying for the reasons you describe. One day the balance will tip in your head and nothing will stop you. The longer you stay the more damage is done to you all and the longer it will take to recover. I know only too well this dilemma and I can tell you I stayed for my son and to keep my family together and my son and myself were very badly affected and my ex was able to abuse him too and get him on his side. You’re in a strong position. I had no idea I was being abused and the damage that abuse causes but when I discovered this, and that he was deliberately out to destroy me and my son, there was no stopping me. Get all your ducks in a row. Speak to a solicitor about your entitlement. Maybe you can stay in the home until the kids are older with maintenance from your husband. Look at all the different possibilities and weigh up the real cost of staying x

Buddy
      Participant

Thanks kip , you wouldn’t believe how much strength your messages are giving me !
      I am speaking to a solicitor Thursday .. so hopefully be more informed ..
      thank u again ❤️

Buddy
      Participant

Gettingtired, sorry only now I have seen your message .
      Yes, detaching is the way forward for me , difficult when still living with each other though .
      I often wonder what on Earth I have done to him for him to be so horrible to me .. he must have resentment , I think he is jealous as I am popular and well liked and have a good social life .. he doesn’t .. I think this eats him up and that’s when this side comes out . Tbh I am sick of analysing it all , it is what it is .. I am looking g after my mental health as sometimes I feel like I am going mad and I self destruct with alcohol ..
      you should look after yourself too and put yourself first , never mind him xx

Camel
      Participant

Hi Buddy

My sisters and I grew up having to deal with our mother’s moods. She’d swing from raging to sulky silence on a whim. We never knew what we’d done wrong and crept around trying to placate and appease this woman who couldn’t care less about the emotional well-being of her husband or children.

It took many many years before I realised how dysfunctional and damaging this was. And more years still before I was emotionally equipped to handle it.

If a sister is there with me We chat away, roll our eyes, talk to her as if we haven’t noticed she’s in a sulk. Laughing particularly annoys her. It’s still horrible to deal with though so visits are duty visits, phone calls are duty phone calls.

The thing about silence is that it forces a response. It’s probably more powerful than being shouted at, in my experience anyway. What do we always do when given the silent treatment? WE THINK AND WORRY – I’m not going to say sorry. I’m not going to ask how they are. Or what I’ve done wrong. I’m going to ignore it. I’ll try to be pleasant, act like I’m not affected, angry, insulted. Act as if my feelings don’t count. And when they start to speak, behaving as though nothing has happened, I’ll go along with it. Because I’ll be glad this episode has ended.

Silent treatment. It sounds so mild. But it’s actually cruel and vicious abuse.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content