Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dreamingoffreedom
      Participant

So for years I’ve known I needed to see a counsellor. Someone who I can tell everything to. I have friends and family who I confide in but for some reason I always hold back the really horrible things he has done. When things are really bad I explore seeing a counsellor but when things calm down I don’t follow through with making an appointment. This time though I have done it. I went for my first session on (detail removed by moderator). I felt like I was betraying him as things have been okay and hate lying as I know I can’t tell him what I am doing but I know I need to do it for my sanity. I’m hoping that opening up to somebody and talking things through will give me the clarity and strength I need to leave.

Jedi warrior
      Participant

Hi going to a councillor was a positive step for me and helped clarify that what I experienced for several decades of my marriage was indeed abusive but was also normal to me ..I had never confided in friends or family as I felt guilty doing that ..but having the right councillor gave me clarity and confidence to believe in myself and how my marriage affected my anxiety..I walked away from a long marriage has been so hard but I know I could not live like that anymore once the fog had lifted..good luck

nbumblebee
      Participant

I have to say its saved my life.
      It isnt me not what I do we dont talk about things to anyone else but I had too I needed to or I was scared of what I would do.
      I feel so guilty he doesnt know he thinks i see a phsyio for a broken foot I hate lying to him and like you when things are calm i feel so full of guilt. But I need to go I dont have anyone else I can talk too nobody knows my story past or preaent apart from here and my counsellor.
      To me its a lifeline. She tells me all the time to stop saying I wont ever leave she never pushes me but encourages me and helps me see a way through, I still dont know if I will ever leave but at least now I have someone to talk too.
      Huge huge well done to you for going it really isnt an easy process I wont lie but dont stop now cause one day it will all hurt less xxxxx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content