Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Borntobefree
      Participant

Its,been a few yrs since I left my abusive ex ..I kept getting reminders for my smear test I kept putting it off ..the thought of it ..I just couldn’t go through it to make an appointment… today I managed to book it ..nurse was very supportive ….not sure how I going to feel afterwards ..but I keep saying to myself ..selfcare is,very important ..

fizzylem
      Participant

Welldone BTBF, I felt the same, think I left it around two years late as well. It’s horrid isn’t it, no way round it. One of those sh!tty things we have to go through. Had mine a few months back now and felt glad I’d dealt with it for a few more years again. Done. I always ask for a female nurse to do mine. I don’t care if he’s a trained professional – not happening! x

Tiffany
      Participant

Well done! I hate them too, but better to get it done. Stops you worrying. If you haven’t done them already then you can get your STD tests done at the same time. I have always been offered that, anyway. And taken it up if I am in a new relationship. And you can definitely request a female nurse/doctor. Although I have a male doctor at the moment who has done smear test, and coil insertion for me, and he’s been the gentlest and least stress inducing of anyone that has ever put a speculum near me, so I wouldn’t necessarily recommend going with a woman. Just make sure they know you are anxious and need them to take things at your pace. Good luck with it. And well done again for booking it again!

Fudgecake
      Participant

Well done BTBF,
      It’s important to keep up to date with these things as our health is everything. I had a fantastic nurse who did mine a while back and she was excellent. It was over in a few seconds and she was so nice. I’m not so sure how I’ll feel about having this procedure done now post abusive relationship but I’m going to to force myself to do it when it’s time anyway. I don’t want to have survived all the Cr*p and escaped only to neglect my health.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content