Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anabela
      Participant

I just want to express my frustration!!! After leaving my ex the first thing I have done changed my name on Facebook. (as before even though I blocked him on my account he managed to track me through fake accounts). What happened to me yesterday? I was blocked out of facebook for not using my real name. Has it happened to anyone?
      I would feel so exposed if I am to use my real name. At the same time it is important tool of communication with people that I need to communicate to. He hasn’t been in touch for a long time. Am I over sensitive for still fearing he might contact me if he could?

KIP.
      Participant

Always always trust your gut. These men have no concept of time or of the trauma and hurt they have caused. Time means nothing. They will try to hook you in for years to come if they can. They get addicted to the high they get from abusing us. The good thing is you’re stronger and in a much better position to deal with him. I don’t know about the specifics of Facebook and even if it’s compulsory to use your real name, perhaps check their regulations to reassure yourself. Try not to overanalyse things at this stage. We can spend our lives looking over our shoulder, stay alert, stay safe. I never went back onto social media. I use email and WhatsApp. In the meantime I would stay off social media as much as possible until you discover what exactly happened here x

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Yes I understand your frustration, rightly so, my ex also followed me online creating new accounts as well, it is really online harassment, what a sad man with no life!

It is difficult (basically impossible)to change your facebook name because of their authentic name policy.
      The only way would be to migrate your page into a business profile, then you can choose a different name and keeping all your contacts etc. but I get this is not what you’re after.
      What you can do is review all your privacy settings. At least to give you some degree of control who sees what on your profile, and to cut off any public eyes making it harder for him to see what you are up to.
      Search for ‘Facebook privacy basics guide’ to help you out.

Good luck and stay safe

Iwantmeback
      Participant

I’ve just had a wee nosy on fb policy. Falsely flagging someone for using a fake name is now seen as harassment, if that person cannot give qualifying reasons for doing so. Fb say to use a fake name in this day and age due to scammers and the like is why they shut down pages. But a few years back it was brought to their attention that certain members of society have to use a fake name particularly those who have been in an abusive relationship. Make sure all your settings are private and its only your friends who read your wall. It’s all very well saying don’t use fb but that’s against your human rights in having freedom to express yourself. Fb recommend clearing out everyone who isn’t a friend, (friends of friends) and get in touch with them. There are certain circumstances that a fake name is allowed. It’s another way of him trying to have control of your life at the end of the day.
      There are other ways of connecting with friends, sometimes we have to choose which battle we fight.
      IWMB 💕💕

Flowerchild
      Participant

People in certain professions – education, law, medicine, use ‘false’ names or unrecognisable versions of their real names. Loads of people do this!

While you’re sorting it with FB, why not use something like WhatsApp to keep in touch with friends? You can make a group and keep conversations under the radar of malicious exes and nosy parkers alike.
      Flower x

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve locked my account down so only friends can see my posts and contact me and I only accept people I actually know as a friend.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

I’ve blocked my oh who I actually still live with and guess what, he’s not even noticed. I’ve changed all my Seri b.s. too. I hardly use it because of what was put on my wall would appear on his and that would cause so many arguements, so I took things into my own hands and blocked him, I think I’ve actually unfriended him🤣🤣

Anabela
      Participant

Thank you all for replies. I think I will just keep fingers crossed he will not be looking out for me. Stupid Facebook. My settings are as private as possible I think and I have quite a small amount of Facebook friends. I just don’t want him to message me and disturb my peace of mind. Hopefully that would not happen.
      Iwantmeback you made me laugh 🤣🤣

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Happy to do so😘

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content