Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Dragonfly
      Participant

I qualified for legal aid for my divorce (apparently). Now just received an email from solicitor saying as I have a ‘preserved asset’ i.e MY OWN HOME I don’t qualify anymore! I owe my solicitor a healthy sum now. I plan to write a very strong email tomorrow. Was never told this could happen. All costs are supposed to be upfront and clear at the outset. I paid a one off fee (detail removed by Moderator) yrs ago and that was supposed to be it. I’m just having a rant here because I’ve nowhere else to rant.

KIP.
      Participant

Owning you own home doesn’t mean you have money to pay your legal fees. You need a roof over your head. This doesn’t sound right. I would ring the Legal Aid Board yourself for clarity. You can’t pay your solicitor what you do not have and it’s his fault if he ran up a bill without your approval. Don’t be intimidated by your solicitor. I complained about mine and got all my money back plus compensation. (detail removed by Moderator)

Freedomfighter
      Participant

Hi Dragonfly,
      My solicitor explained that divorcing him would be in two parts: the divorce- legal separation I’m probably entitled to legal aid because I’m on low income. However splitting the assets is a separate matter and I’ll probably have to pay from what ever money they are able to recover for me. Since I know he will never agree to a divorce and has hidden all his money and will refuse to leave the house, I agreed. There’s no way I’ll be able to get anything off him myself.

endoftherainbow
      Participant

I was able to get Legal Aid for my divorce, anyone divorcing for Domestic Violence is applicable my solicitor told me, we didn’t have any assets to divide, he sold our house while I was in refuge, but im able to go after his pension, all part of my legal aid, I would certainly check this out before you part with any money, good luck xx

Dragonfly
      Participant

To qualify for legal aid here it’s different. It’s based on your income. All financial stuff has been done. I’ve had to remortgage to pay him off. (detail removed by moderator) He’s going to get a shock

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content