Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Good samaritan
      Participant

Through a day I’m feeling so positive. Starting college has helped tremendously. I just wish the rest of my day and life could be sorted out as easy x

Hey lovely
      I was wishing someone would start a thread about starting college.I have been there for a while and had hoped we could support each other with the ins and outs of it.
      all best
      xx

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Hi Good Samaritan,

Very well done on starting college, it can’t have been easy given what you are going through. I think you should celebrate your achievement with an extra nice cup of tea or bake yourself a cake perhaps 🙂 It sounds like it will be the start of something really positive, a fresh start.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Also just an idea, but check what resources your college has for support, because many of them are really good at supporting students through all sorts of life difficulties, the college I went to was very good for this sort of thing (a lot of them have counsellors, outreach workers, mentors, that sort of thing).

starryeyed
      Participant

Hi Good Samaritan,

I am so pleased you feel good about college and that it was positive! So good to read, good on you. Whoop whoop! I’m cheering for you!

Also SunshineRainFlower has a really good point there – colleges do have support available and I imagine you may be able to access it quicker than NHS so may be worth contacting them if you want?

Take care of yourself <3 x*x

This is a really good point. Personally I have managed to get disabled students support for chronic PTSD. It was a struggle but I now have an absolutely brilliant mentor who has been coming to my house weekly for months. Wanted to share that info as it may help others.
      all best
      F.

Good samaritan
      Participant

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I was looking at the boards at my university at services available and they do have a counselling and wellbeing service which I’m hoping I will be able to access now I’ve started. I’m actually loving the course and the tutors have said I’m doing fantastic which is a massive relief after been told I’m unintelligent and wrong all the time. It was a massive step to take but I’m so glad I took it. It’s the anxiety of not knowing how he is going to lie to inflict anymore mental trauma that is really getting to me when I do the simple things like shopping, walking the dog or even attempting to repair the damage he caused to my home. Every time I try and invest something in myself it’s as if he is still holding me back. Such a horrible feeling especially when these are things I was always capable of doing alone before I met him.

Notjustme
      Participant

Going back to college was the best thing I did after getting away from my first abusive relationship. It is such a positive step forward when you’ve been undermined for any length of time. It’s all about regaining control and power in your life and of course building a future for yourself and your family. Well, it was for me anyway. It will be hard at times and sometimes it might feel impossible but stick at it and I promise you won’t regret it.
      For a girl who had been told her entire life that she was thick, stupid and a loser I did pretty well graduating with a First Class Honours. Even if I do say so myself!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content