Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      magnolia
      Participant

Does anyone know why, when social services have been told by me and the kids that hubby is way too rough with them and hurting them, why they wont insist that he only sees the kids when supervised? They have also talked to him and told him his behaviour is inappropriate, needs to stop and to stay away from the house. Social services say its purely a parental decission and they can’t tell me or him that they will only allow him supervised access. Surely if i allow him unsupervised access thats putting the kids at risk? Arent they there to prevent the kids being at risk? Confused.

Serenity
      Participant

If you find the answer, tell me!

All I can think is that they have a remit to salvage as many child-father bonds as possible. They try to dismiss parental abuse as ‘historical’ and unimportant, to be left in the past.

SS are an organisation affected and controlled by politics. At the end of the day, the government fears that children whose fathers aren’t in contact – and won’t pay for them- will be a financial burden, plus they have an unrealistic notion of family. They want family to be upheld as a social norm, but you can’t ignore what goes on in families!

And of course, most of these fathers, who are allowed contact despite being abusive, end up paying virtually nothing anyway.

magnolia
      Participant

Thing is he WILL be in contact. I DO want them to see him because thats what they want too and its good for them BUT can i trust him to care for them properly? Not yet. Maybe once d***k isn’t an issue anymore and once i know hes calmer, gentler and kinder to them. I’d be happy to suupervie myself but right now thats not a good idea and social services have told me they dont think its apporopriate that I do the supervising. I agree… for now but if they cn advise on that then why not on what sort of access he has? Just confused. I might just ask her again but dont want to push the issue too much. In all honesty if they agreed he should only have supervised access then fine but if they said that he SHOULD have unsupervised access… i don’t know if i could agree to that yet. In fact I DO know… not a chance in hell… for now.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content