Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      maddog
      Participant

We were chatting about girls in her class who had boyfriends and she was saying that yes, some of the girls did but she wasn’t interested. I said that when the time came, it was important that having a boyfriend should be fun and that most of them are good and kind. We yacked away and she moved the subject on to domestic abuse as she had seen a poster. I asked her if she thought she would recognise it. She thought she might, and I said we often don’t see what is right under our noses. She doesn’t recognise it at home.

Chickadee
      Participant

Sometimes we do recognize it in our mind but don’t want to. Denial.

And sometimes a child or person does not want to bring it up, or does not know how to talk about it.

If he has twisted her thinking at all, she could also be having trouble with reasoning it. They don’t always just do it to us!

She brought up the abuse poster for a reason. Either she does recognize it at home, or she is uneasy with it with dating.

Either way, one Mum to another Mum, I’m sensing more talks on the topic in your future. Talking is good! 😊

A primary characteristic that every abused woman references is that he is fun. Even abusers can be fun. One Mum to another Mum again, what I say to my kids is if someone makes you really uncomfortable, get out of the situation.

Chickadee

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content