Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      iliketea
      Participant

I’ve realised lately that I have longer and more in-depth conversations with my pets than I do with any other human beings day to day.. Is this a trauma response do you think? I’m actively avoiding human interaction at the moment and enjoying mine, and my pets, company instead. Is this a response to the abuse? They’re so calm and happy since he left. They never show any signs of stress anymore, they’re quiet and just so chilled. Its like we’re all just enjoying our space and freedom and calm. Is that weird? Can I wallow in it for a while do you think? Anyone else going to admit to this and help me feel a bit more normal?! x

Jedi warrior
      Participant

Hi I chat to my pets too very therapeutic it’s not weird and by the sounds of it making you and your pets feel good šŸ˜Š

Weemebreeze
      Participant

I completely get this. My neighbourā€™s cat comes running to see me and sits waiting on the doorstep every day – itā€™s brought me so much joy these past months when everything else has been almost unbearable. I just sit and talk to him and it makes me feel so better. ā¤ļø

Anonymous
      Inactive

Iliketea I spent an icredibly long time on my own with just my my pets attest I got everyone toxic out of my life, it was the best time ever, I think your just content and enjoying not having the stess and disruption around you that abuse brings , enjoy it šŸ˜, itā€™s understandable that you donā€™t trust people very well at the moment, in time you can figure out who is deserved of you time and who should be in your life, I know a lot of us have been of the mindset what can ā€˜iā€™ bring to the relationship/friendship and how can I make things better when it should be flipped around in a more balanced way?i really believe animals understand more than we give them credit for and theyā€™ve been know to naturally lower blood pressure too, glad your ok though and your at a level of settledšŸ§”šŸ’–šŸ§”

KIP.
      Participant

With my PTSD I was asked if I talked to myself which I did a lot in the beginning. If Iā€™d had a pet Iā€™d definitely have done it too. Nothing wrong with it and Iā€™m sure it feels good. Just keep doing what helps recovery šŸ’•

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes, I talk to my pet all the time as I don’t have much day to day contact with humans. It’s really nice when they nuzzle you for a cuddle and a stroke, or wag their tail when they respond to your words. I agree that pets can and do help us heal from trauma. I think they should be used more in therapy, to help people talk through and process difficult emotions and memories.

ISOPeace
      Participant

Great question iliketea. I would guess the answer depends person to person and over time.

My personal view is that bonds with animals are very healing. Animals are completely non-judgemental, they donā€™t hold grudges, they donā€™t have any complicated hidden agendas. I think thereā€™s a huge benefit in talking to an animal, that will respond lovingly and will not invalidate anything you say. Itā€™s the opposite of what our abusers do. I guess if you felt like you could only talk to animals for a long period of time, it could be a sign that the trauma is preventing you from trusting and connecting with others. Maybe for some people talking to animals is a really important step to do before talking to people. I think that anything that makes you feel safe and accepted is a really good thing to do. xxxx

Eggshells
      Participant

Oh yes! Pets love you unconditionally and they don’t say horrible things to you. They just sit and quietly listen whilst they show you lots of love.

ladiesand gentlemen
      Participant

ME TOO xxxxxx
      I talk to my pets ALL the time xx
      They dont judge or get moody, they just love and want to cuddle(with no consequences)
      I have found since removing my head from him(we live together)that the animals come to me more and are far more relaxed xx
      Keep talking to them its fine, and it brings so much to a sad dangerous situation
      They love it too xoxoxoxo
      Take care ladies and all the pets that love us xoxoxoxoxo

Still scared
      Participant

Me too always have: always will ;…so normal enjoy they don’t judge ..or lie.. or cheat or take the mickey of Us.. we owe them so much will

Hallux
      Participant

I really miss my dog, couldnā€™t bring him with me as landlord said no. If ever I have my own place, Iā€™ll look into getting a catā€¦ life goalsā€¦

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ā© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England ā€“ Womenā€™s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Womenā€™s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions ā”‚ Privacy & cookie policy ā”‚ Site map ā”‚ Protect yourself onlineā”‚ MediaĀ ā”‚Ā Jobs ā”‚ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content