Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      starqueen
      Participant

Hi, has anyone told their employer they’re a survivor? I’m in my first job after having cut off contact with my abusive family member (who is dead now so I’m safe). I was a mature student and now I’m in a job after completing my studies. Nobody in my department or team knows that I’m a survivor or that I’ve been through any kind of abuse or trauma. Since we came back from the Christmas break I’ve found that I get a bit more triggered than normal. I’m not sure what work could do to support me, I don’t know what kind of support is out there at work for survivors. I think I’m just aware now in a way that I wasn’t before that I’ve not got the same experience as others, and I wonder if it’s fair to myself to carry on as if nothing happened when I know that it did. Hopefully this makes sense! Any experiences or suggestions would be good to hear.

Daisy Fairydust
      Participant

Hi starqueen
      I think really it’s up to you if you want to speak to someone at work about it, perhaps there’s someone there you trust but you’re under no obligation.
      Depending on your employer/company they may be able to offer some form of counselling service that could help.
      Personally, I felt I had to tell my employer, I was trapped with my abuser both working from home because of the pandemic. I’d reached peak with it all, had just started to reach out to women’s aid etc and didn’t want my work impacted by what I was dealing with at home.
      I have to say my employer was amazing, HR and my top line manager, we all worked together to ensure I was able to get some safe space from time to time, counselling was arranged to see me through some of the worst weeks. Even now that I’m out they are still doing everything they can to help, they’ve even said they would source some equipment for my youngest for home schooling. I cannot thank them enough. I’m off sick at the moment and there’s no pressure for me to return.
      Is there something in particular that’s triggering you?

Xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi I told my employer ,not by my own choice really I had to as my abuser threatened to come to my workplace and cause trouble. They have been extremely supportive even offering extra hours now I’m living alone to help financially.They offered time off if necessary and check how I’m getting on.It was a positive thing for me to tell them and opening up to them has since encouraged me to gain counselling. If youre having low days if the knew you are a survivor they would be able to support x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content