Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Backandforth
      Participant

I have just been put into temporary accommodation, I feel more alone than ever and surrounded by men. This is the point where my confidence starts to waver, he has it all and I’m here alone, not feeling the safest. I feel
      Like he’s won already! I can almost see him laughing at me. Sorry, just feeling sorry for myself

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Backandforth,

It’s absolutely understandable that you’re feeling so vulnerable right now. There’s nothing to apologise for about the way that you’re feeling. Your experience should be taken into account in any accommodation that you’re offered, it’s very common for women who have experienced domestic abuse to feel unsafe around men, you deserve to feel safe.

If you’re getting support from your local domestic abuse service, you could speak to them about getting some advocacy in explaining how you’re feeling to the council housing team (or whichever organisation placed you in this temporary accommodation). If you’re not getting support, you might like to use our Live Chat service (available every day) to speak to a Women’s Aid worker about your options in more detail or you could use our service directory to search for your local domestic abuse service details and contact them.

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa

Backandforth
      Participant

I’ve been here for over (detail removed by Moderator) weeks and I’ve had no contact from housing at all. I feel abandoned. It’s so wrong. I have minimal cooking facilities and no washing facilities. Do t get me wrong I am safe but it’s not right

Backandforth
      Participant

I’ve been here for over (detail removed by Moderator) weeks and I’ve had no contact from housing at all. I feel abandoned. It’s so wrong. I have minimal cooking facilities and no washing facilities. Don’t get me wrong I am safe but it’s not right

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Backandforth,

I am sorry to hear you have not had any contact from housing during this time, it is understandable you feel as you do. Have you had any contact with your local domestic abuse service as I mentioned before? They can often liaise on your behalf with housing and other organisations to support you with exploring your options.

Keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hello Backandforth

FWIW I believe it was very inappropriate for you, escaping from domestic abuse, to be placed somewhere that is full of men.

This is something that perhaps a local DA agency could support you with changing, or perhaps you would be better off in refuge, where the only residents are women, in similar situations to yourself?

You don’t have to stay there.

Its very sad, that even in this supposedly enlightened era of the risk to women of violence from men, there are still organisations putting women in risky situations. As a woman who’s suffered DA you are more vulnerable in so many ways, having only just left.

Do keep reading and talking on here, it will help immensely with your understanding and processing of what you have experienced and your situation now.

warmest wishes

ts

Backandforth
        Participant

Thank you TS my local DA has also tried to contact them with no response. I ca. completely see why some women stay with the abusers! Such a difficult time

Twisted Sister
        Participant

yep, so can I. Its no bed of roses, but there is help out there for many so I hope that your help will be able to get some action for your situation.

Do ask all you want and post anything you need help with or just to be heard is sometimes nice.

warmest wishes

ts

Backandforth
      Participant

Hi all, just a little update, I’m
      Still in the TA and still had ZERO contact from the council! This is ridiculous.

I may have to leave soon as he started the divorce and I can’t get legal aid so it’s going to cost a fortune to fight him

TickTock
      Participant

Hi how do I get someone to listen to me. What’s the number??????????

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content