Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      swanlake
      Participant

Further to another topic about feeling uncomfortable, I recently got a book called The Body Keeps The Score.
      A medical professional recently told me that abusive relationships don’t cause CPTSD and abusive childhoods might cause personality disorders but not CPTSD and I don’t meet criteria for anything.
      But I’m still interested in reading about soothing trauma responses and I’m currently enjoying online videos about tai chi, qi gong and other martial arts. I’d also like to find out more about chanting and drumming. It sounds a bit woowoo but apparently it’s meant to soothe the nervous system that has been ravaged by experiences of abuse.

Lostnalone
      Participant

Swanlake I wil defo have a look at this. Thankyou. Do hope your well.x*x

StrongLife
      Participant

I enjoy exercising ie via YouTube’s or walking outside on nice days. I also enjoy movies. The exercise has helped and attempting to go to self defence classes.

I have heard people who love drumming and creativity as a way forward.

Regards

Lostnalone
      Participant

I did a drop in for a bad episode tonite! Was in hrs,they explained that walking especially when it’s cold is perfect for reliving anxiety. They offer yoga,karate and drumming in the day!! Swanlake I’ve ordered that book. That’s place was amazing. However alot of wat was said some of u on here already have. Ladies a icebath was suggested also!! X*x

swanlake
      Participant

Just a little update, I’m still working my way through The Body Keeps The Score. Well, I only started at the third part about healing and solutions.
      I haven’t yet found any chanting and drumming sessions but I have found a community choir, martial arts and, at a local charity for people who have experienced abuse, self defence classes. I’m continuing with art, tai chi and yoga at home and now I’m looking for therapeutic drama activities too.
      In amongst all this I’m still caring for family and working part time!
      After a lifetime of abuse until a few years ago, it’s definitely time to do some deep recovery with this kind of body work as well as talking therapies and medications.

Texas
      Participant

Wow that’s great! You are doing so much to heal and you deserve to put yourself first for a change! Please keep us posted as to how you are getting on!

Miosotis
      Participant

I do believe that severe trauma, in whichever form, causes PTSD and if there are different kinds of trauma you end up with CPTSD. It makes sense, because trauma is trauma. Trauma doesn’t choose whether you are a soldier, or whatever. Of course, I am not an expert, but during my ordeal I have had to read a lot about such matters. But it is true that it is more difficult to heal the worse your trauma is, and surely the longer it takes you to find help, and that will be probably the difficult for a huge amount of victims. The fact that, like in my case, it can take a long time for you to leave the traumatic situation makes it very difficult to, because once you are out, you can let it all go. Right now I am in the middle of it and my head processes what happened 23/7, which is horrible and is a sign of PTSD. But I feel that I have to make sure that if anyone needs to hear my story at the throw of a hat to see if they can help me, I need to have all the facts from years and years fresh in my mind, while my mind actually wants to forget all this!

What I do right now to keep myself as sane as I possibly can? I don’t have family in the UK and have moved around, so I don’t really have friends here I can rely for help, or even just a chat or a cup of tea, but I was lucky enough to meet an amazing elderly lady ((detail removed by Moderator)) in a local park, (detail removed by Moderator) months ago. She has signs of dementia but is at times incredibly lucid and we bonded big time. She lives in a beautiful local Care Home and most of her family is abroad, so we comfort one another. She always thanks me for visiting, and tells me how important my visits are to her, but it is I who have to thank her and everybody in the care home, staff, other residents, visitors, for the invaluable contribution to my well-being. Without them I would probably not be here anymore. While I am with them all, I can forget for a bit what I am going through! I used to be a successful (detail removed by Moderator) and that brought me a lot of joy, as I brought joy to others too, and that helped me cope, but it also kept me tied to my abuser, so I have had to put an end to it, which is deeply, deeply sad!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content