Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Catperson
      Participant

Evening all, i hope you’re well

I have been advised by my WA support worker to go to my council and ask for emergency accom. My only worry is, will they contact him at all? I do not want any repurcussions and all my abuse has been psychological and it has taken a very long time to get the strength to leave and break that trauma bond.

Has anyone gone through the council this way and what was the process like from start to finish if possible?
      Thank you so much

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Catperson,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. I hope you find the forum a safe and supportive place to be with others who understand.

The council shouldn’t contact him at all. Your safety in this situation is the most important thing and him finding out you’re planning to leave could put you at risk. The council will have experience in working with people experiencing domestic abuse and should understand the importance of safeguarding you by not contacting him. If you are worried, you should be able to discuss this with them before starting the process, to put your mind at ease. Have you asked your support worker about any support she can offer with this? She’s likely to have had past clients who have been through the process so may be able to answer questions specifically about how your local council works.

Lots of women here on the forum will have been through similar, so hopefully they will be able to reply soon and share their experiences with you.

If you feel like you are in need of some additional support, you could chat to a Women’s Aid worker in confidence via our Live Chat service (8am – 6pm weekdays and 10am – 6pm weekends/bank holidays). They won’t tell you what to do but can discuss your situation and signpost you to other support that’s relevant for you.

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa
      (Forum Moderator)

Allornothing
      Participant

Hi Catperson, I was never asked to give any of his details, in fact they didn’t ask for much information at all as the urgency is to get you somewhere rather than having paperwork to complete. I don’t know about you, but we didn’t have children involved so I am not sure if your query is coming from that angle? Wishing you all the best xx

Catperson
      Participant

Thank you both for your replies,

Yes I have children, i am worried about them using them as a bargaining chip somehow. I also dont want them to be able to find me as i have no boundaries with them and they know how to exploit me, its something im hoping WA can help me with when i am out. Its shameful as i feel like a doormat and so stupid. Your comments have made me feel able to approach the council, so thank you both very much.

Catperson
      Participant

Hi,

I thought id update my situation a little bit, it may help someone going through a similar situation.

So, i have contacted the council, and have an appointment to speak to a homelessness advisor regarding my situation. Annoyingly they contacted me via phone when i said no calls, as it makes me vunerable, but ill bring that up in an email to them and also my appointment, so if that may affect you also, do mention to your advisor how you want to be contacted to keep you safe.

I have asked for a managed move, not an emergency one, I have children and one of which is immuno-compromised so i do not want to risk them getting sick. Im am not quite sure what that means, but i think its more or a permanent solution rather than a hostel/hotel in the meantime.

They mentioned on the phone about making sure i dont give false information as its a criminal offense, which makes me scared, im not going to, but it sounds threatening, but i also know its just procedure for them to say that, so do not worry.

My only worry is that my name is on the mortgage and im. not sure if they will be as keen to help me. Even tho he has admantly said he will not leave, and he has stuck to that, so we shall see what they say next week.

It seems like things are moving slowly but i know itll progress and its in the right direction.
      I shall update when things do progess

Justlost
      Participant

I hope you get help soon

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content