Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jellyx
      Participant

Hey ladies I just wanted do write a little post on life in a refugee. I have been been here since (detail removed by moderator) I am in a self contained 2 bedroom flat that is ok amongst other flats with people who rent or have mortgages none of whom know that this is a refugee I’m assuming they think it’s a council property. We can come and go as we please and my key worker from WA visits every week (due to COVID it has been phone calls unless emergency). I have one son with ex and unfortunately for me he still wants to see him so I meet in a public place and hand him to grandpa I normally then go to the shops to make sure I’m alone. I have been told I could be here up to 18 months before a council property becomes available. It’s a breathe of fresh air not having the name calling the bullying the gaslighting everything to Delaware with Daily from him ! I hope this helps and makes anyone unsure a little glimpse into life in a refugee ❤️❤️ Sending lots of love and rainbows 🌈💛 cxx

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Jellyx

I just wanted to thank you for sharing this. It took a lot of courage to leave and go into a refuge and I hope you are feeling safe.

Good luck with everything and please keep posting,

Lisa

Lotus20
      Participant

Thank you Jellyx and enjoy the peace and freedom from abusive behavior. X

Daisy Fairydust
      Participant

Hi Jellyx

Thank you for sharing this, I’m just waiting on the flat becoming available for me and the kids, it’s imminent. I’m equal parts excited and terrified but I know I have to do it, I cannot continue to live a life that is economically and psychologically controlled.
      I am worried about the financial side of things, can you give me an indication of what you pay for in refuge? One of my amazing support network described escaping your abuser like shedding heavy coats. My main concern is my youngest child and the devastating impact it’ll have on him but I can’t live like this forever, I’ve already stayed years too long out of fear of being able to live on the small salary I have, but lockdown has shown me how horrific this is.
      Unfortunately, social housing for me is a minimum three year wait, there just isn’t any housing stock and movement is very slow. And by three years I think that’s for the people at the top of the list, and that’s priority homeless. It’s shocking.
      Daisy Fairydust xx

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content