Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I’m feeling so insecure and paranoid about so much right now. Things have got weirder with him recently and I’m not sure if he suspects I’m reaching out for help.
      Does anyone else find this forum really slow to load when they click on topics? It seems so slow for me and I understand if that’s just how it is but I’m paranoid he’s put tracking software on the computer. I’m terrified he’ll find my posts.

Malachite
      Participant

I’m not 100% sure, but maybe you can find tracking software in your programs/apps part of your control panel? Or can you check your firewall and see if there’s anything that you don’t recognise being allowed through.
      I’m not finding the forum particularly slow at the moment, but it could just be your internet or computer playing up. Has he appeared to know more than you’ve told him recently – like mentioning you buying new shoes online when you haven’t said??
      That said, if there is tracking software then uninstalling it could make him suspicious, so be careful. Also I’m not sure if googling information about tracking software is a good idea if you think he’s tracking you. The helpline can probably help with this and their number doesn’t show up on most phone bills. I have to go now, but I’ll try to find time later to google it for you and paste on here if I get time?? Or someone else may be able to. I haven’t experienced this kind of abuse so I’d *wait to see what others say*, but I thought I’d give you a vague idea of where to look until someone more useful replied.

I hope he’s not tracking you. But if he is then that’s v abusive and I’d try to find somewhere else to stay.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

It has been slow for me but I was thinking it’s because I’ve got loads of tabs open as that’s how I tend to browse, and sometimes it overloads the browser! However like Malachite said, if he appears to know things you haven’t mentioned then he could possibly be tracking you, I guess it’s hard to know. Like Malachite says it might be best to feign ignorance of it and prepare to leave because if he is tracking you, realises you realise it could escalate the abuse. I pretended everything was normal with my ex so he didn’t realise I was going to definitely end things and it kept me safer.

Did you manage to get through to the helpline and put a safety plan in place? They should be able to advise on the tracking too. I think although I’m not certain that my ex used to go into my phone and was maybe tracking it, because after I left it started acting strange without me touching it. I was also signed up to some weird premium app that I never signed up to or got a confirmation of, I’m sure he signed me up then deleted the confirmation message because he would have loved the chaos it caused. Once you are free you can scan for tracking devices, wipe your phone and reset it, maybe wipe and reset your computer too. You could get a tech savvy friend to help if you’re not sure (my friend’s husband works in IT and suggested I wipe my phone).

Dragonfly
      Participant

Make sure you delete cookies and browsing history. Or maybe only login on your phone? I’m not very techy but I’m sure there’s tips on how to stay safe on here.

teatime
      Participant

I don’t think that is possible; remote tracking is unlikely unless he is an IT genius. Tracking cookies are set up by sites, not by individuals. I would clear your cache if I were you and run Superantispyware if on a PC. Then I run Malwarebytes. When you have finsihed uninstall these as they take up a lot of memory.
      Very often this will alleviate a slow pc.
      If you do not live with this man, is very unlikely he can track you except on social media like FB. In which case delete your account there and take advice from Womens’ Aid

Anonymous
      Inactive

I can’t stay here long right now but I wanted to thank everyone for replying and the advice.
      I do live with him and we share our computer (I do have my own phone) but I try to be very careful about deleting history and cookies. I think I’ll just use my phone to be safer.

Tiffany
      Participant

You could also use the private/incognito browser setting so that nothing is saved in your search history?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m doing the private browser now so think it should be ok.

Ayanna
      Participant

The forum is not slow loading.
      It could be an issue with your software but tracking devices are a reality. I have heard that many times.
      Always delete your browsing history and even check on private browser that no traces are left.

Anonymous
      Inactive

It’s a bit scary. It’s not slow loading on my phone. I’m scared he’ll find my posts. I deleted all history and cache and use private browsing. I’ll just use phone only just in case.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content