Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Escapee
      Participant

One of my great loves is reading. I take a lot of comfort from it. Recently I have read Eat, Pray, Love (for about the 8th time!) and reflecting on the wisdom of the writing has been really helpful to me.

Can you ladies recommend any other books (not self help ones – stories would be best) that have touched you and helped you to find your balance?

Thank you x*x

KIP.
      Participant

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
      The Railwayman

Both to do with surviving abuse but inspirational x

Escapee
      Participant

Thank you Kip – I’ll check them out xx

fizzylem
      Participant

Jonathan Livingstone seagull; and The Alchemist by Paulo Cohelo x

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

‘Math with bad drawings, illuminating the ideas that shape our reality’ by Ben Orlin
      It isn’t a story nor touching but it is hilarious and gives such complete mental break from all the abuse stuff, I can highly recommend it, it’s definitely thought provoking & humour helps restoring inner balance and sanity 🙃

Escapee
      Participant

Fizzlem – I love the idea of The Seagull!
      I’ve read the alchemist – maybe that’s one to revisit.

Hopelovejoy – I agree – a book that can transport you away from the darkness is a joy! Have you read The Rosie Project?

Xx

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

No I haven’t Escapee, I’ll add it to my list thank you, I’ll check out the others mentioned in your thread as well. Next one I’ll buy is Permanent Record by Edward Snowden, he finally wrote a book! I admire his resolve to fight for our online privacy 💪

Escapee
      Participant

Yes! I saw that one too. That’s on my to read list.

I know I said about not reading self help books but I’ve just ordered The body keeps the score’ – anyone read it? (It’s about healing from trauma)

KIP.
      Participant

Yes, The Body Keeps The Score👍
      Also, Mind Over Mood 👍

Escapee
      Participant

Thanks Kip. I’m a bit apprehensive about reading it just in case it puts me backwards a bit. Is it a really practical positive book or one full of triggers?

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Great 🤓

Yes I have read The body keeps the score, I find it the ultimate book about trauma, very well written, packed with stories. My favourite phrase from this book is “what can not be spoken to the [m]other can not be told to the self’”

The book approaches the subject of trauma through a scientific filter and is providing stories and examples illustrating the wide range of methods the medical field is using in attempting to heal trauma.
      I didn’t find it triggering because the author emphasises more on the process of healing and the reactions issuing from trauma rather than going into graphic details of any abuse itself. It is relatively safe to read, I can only recommend it. Maybe not in one go haha take a breather with a lighter book at half time 😉
      Happy reading darling!📚

Escapee
      Participant

Thank you Hopelifejoy 😊

I’m so relieved it’s been money well invested. I’ll heed your advice and have another book on the go at the same time.

I have to do that with Yuval Noah Harari’s books – ten minutes reading, several days chewing over the implications! 😂

Xxxx

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Here an extract I found interesting;
      “Traumatised people are terrified to feel deeply. They are afraid to experience their emotions, because emotions lead to loss of control. In contrast, theater is about emboydying emotions, giving voice to them, becoming rhythmically engaged, taking in and emboydying different roles.
      As we’ve seen, the essence of trauma is feeling godforsaken, cut off from human race. Theather involves a collective confrontation with the realities of the human condition.
      ….traumatised people are afraid of conflict. They fear losing control and ending up on the loosing side once again. Conflict is central to theater – inner conflicts, interpersonal conflicts, family conflicts, social conflicts, and their consequences. Trauma is about trying to forget, hiding how scared, enraged, or helpless you are. Theater is about finding ways of telling the truth and conveying deep truths to your audience.”

And that’s just one of the method researched in the book 😃

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

It’s really well invested money indeed, this book is a true jewel to be read again and again 😌

Yes haha indeed 😂 no sweat hey, just enjoy it.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

I’ve never heard of Yuval Noah Harari, I just looked him up, goodness he sounds super interesting, I already saw three of his books I am adding to my reading list. Thank you for sharing! I am looking forward to the winter to just read, I won’t even have time for a job at this rate 😄📚

Escapee
      Participant

😂 happy reading – be prepared to have numerous discussions with yourself when you tackle one of Harari’s books! I’m currently dipping in and out of 21 lessons for the 21st century. I had to take a break from Sapiens as my poor brain couldn’t cope with life and some of his concepts! I plan to pick that up again when the grey matter has stopped being fried rice! 😂

Xxxx

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

My favourite book is still The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron, I recommend it to everyone. I’m reading it for the second time. It’s for everyone too, not just ‘creative people’ because really all of us are creative in different ways. It helps you bring more of what you love into your life and can often help change or shape your career, your hobbies, your relationships, connect to yourself better, bring your dreams into reality. A lovely book, enjoyable to read too, it doesn’t feel like a chore doing the exercises (I know some books that give you tasks can feel a bit chore-like at times).

I also found Psychopath Free really helpful, v easy to read and describes my experience with my ex to a T which was very validating.

In terms of stories I love Practical Magic and Rules of Magic, really nice stories about powerful women and very cosy to read especially in Autumn.

Escapee
      Participant

That sounds like a really good mix of books. I used to be very arty but I’ve lost that side of me so I’m definitely going to put The Artists Way on my list 😊.

Another good book is The Salt Path. It’s about a couple that lost everything and to avoid acknowledging ‘homelessness’ embarked on a trek – a good one for snuggling up on the sofa with.

Dragon
      Participant

Great thread, I loved reading Eat Pray Love and will also check out some of these recommendations x

Escapee
      Participant

It is one of my favourite books Dragon; every time I read it I get something new from it. This time around it felt especially poignant.

Another excellent couple of reads are Shantaram and the follow on Mountain Shadow. They’re both stories rather than factual but the first one particularly draws on the authors life experiences – he escaped from a prison in Australia and ended up in India.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

I love Shantaram!!I totally forgot about it! I had to leave all of my books behind and this one impressed me very much, I can only recommend it, it’s an adventure in India and so well written and thrilling you think you are right there with them. I didn’t know there was a second book, I’ll have a look at it.

Escapee
      Participant

If you liked the quotability of Shantaram, you’ll need a new notebook for Mountain Shadow!

It’s not often a follow on lives up to expectations but I feel Mountain Shadow was even better than Shantaram (though I’d suggest reading Shantaram again first so you know the characters well). X*x

Seeingclearly
      Participant

‘Their Eyes Were Watching God’ by Zora Neale Hurston, written in the 1930s. A beautiful book about the complexities of being in a violent relationship, and the liberation of escape.

“Here was peace. She pulled in her horizon like a great fish-net. Pulled it from around the waist of the world and draped it over her shoulder. So much of life in its meshes! She called in her soul to come and see.”

Escapee
      Participant

Oh wow! That’s beautiful! I’m definitely checking that one out!

I think I’m going to have to join a library otherwise I’ll be spending all my food money on books! 😂

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Same here, must be watchful of my budget, bought Permanent Record and saw the other ones from Harari. Can’t afford them all, one at a time, I think I’ll check the 21 Lessons out next then onto Shantaram&co. I used to be able to read a book within few days, I devoured them. Now I’m having a hard time staying focused on one, even when it’s interesting.

Where I live there are street libraries, for example an old phone booth transformed into a miniature library where people can place and retrieve books at no costs. It’s great 📚

Escapee
      Participant

I love those places. There’s one in a shopping centre just outside London that’s a WHOLE shop of free books – simply joyful!!

I’ve been recommended another two books….
      Brené Brown – Braving the Wilderness
      Elizabeth Gilbert – Big Magic

And I’m also queuing Tale’s of a female nomad by Rita Golden Gelman

I’ll report back!

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content