Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

Another great visit to therapist. During recovery I felt I went from extremely positive to despair in a viscous cycle almost like the abuse cycle. So I’m in a good place once again and I ask her how do I stop myself slipping backwards. She told me to write down three positive things I do every day. It seems if we can keep that positive train of thought going it prevents the negative creeping back in. So far so good. So yesterday I went to my therapist, took my sister swimming and bought myself bed socks! Sounds simple but with my past mental health issues these steps are awe inspiring and it’s great to see how far I’ve come. I write them in my memo page on my phone so it’s handy. Next session we will look through them. Onwards and upwards. Big hugs to you all. Take time for yourself today x

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Thank you for sharing with us, KIP.

Best wishes,
      Lisa

lover of no contact
      Participant

Thankyou KIP for sharing the recovery tips. Another tip I heard is to think of 3 things each night before sleep to be thankful for. Gratitude is a useful tool. Although when living with an abuser it is a very hard tool to use.

KIP.
      Participant

The gratitude one is also good. I will write that down separately. It’s good to look back at an actual list of things to reinforce the positive mind set and break the cycle of falling back into despair and depression. Today I saw his kind of car and didn’t do a double take or panic. I checked my online bank account that often triggers me and did it without the usual heart racing and I drove about 40 miles from home and enjoyed the drive in the sun. I also read my previous positive things and it really helped. Onwards and upwards x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content