Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

There is no doubt that abuse wrecks your mental health.

From various things I have read, the following things help you to find mental health again:

– Seek professional help in order to minimise the effects of abuse and subsequent mental distress

– Define your personal values and life goals

– Become actively involved in your own life through meaningful activities ( fight against inertia and paralysis, which is a common feeling belonging to victims)

– Connect with others for support and mutually satisfying relationships

– Reshape your perspective to see realistic, positive things

– Find and nurture meaning and purpose in life

KIP.
      Participant

I find it really hard to get out of the bubble that is my life. Unless someone else books a trip or pushes me to do something I’m sure I’d just never do anything. And the sad thing is that I’m content doing nothing. It’s like I have no headspace left for doing anything that’s not my normal everyday easy life. I have rediscovered reading. For years I didn’t have the mental capacity or concentration to read a book.

Serenity
      Participant

Hi KIP,

I think part of the healing journey is also to have some comfort/ desert time, just being still.

Don’t underestimate it! Our abusers never let us have peace!

When lethargy hits you its not easy to get motivated again. I am so lethargic and have lost of all of my motivation to stay super fit as i have been for years. I have always without fail exercised at least 5 times every week for the past 30 years. I think part of it was that I had to stay slim to look attractive. Since i split from my ex I just have no motivation to exercise, I try but normally leave the gym after 10 minutes. I have put on 1.5 stone in the past year. Today I brought some scales & i’m going to register for an online calorie counting programme, this helped me before. Thank you for your motivational post Serenity, I will pin this up in my kitchen alongside your list of nice things to do which you posted before. X

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content