Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

This post might sound a bit flippant, but truly it’s not.

I have realised I haven’t bought tomatoes since he left.

I’ve completely lost my taste for them.

This is because one of the things that my ex was hung up about was being served the right kind of tomato. It had to be ripe and the correct colour.

If I served him one that wasn’t to his taste, it was enough for him to launch into a tirade about how this country had rubbish food, that I was serving him tasteless food. It was enough for him to almost combust with anger, and he’d be in a bad temper the whole evening. I would be punished somehow.

He was always putting down my cooking, yet everyone else says I am a good cook. Even if I hadn’t been, how dare he feel entitled to rage against me like that.

No, I’ve well and truly gone off tomatoes! Funny how things affect you x

iwillbeok
      Participant

Hi Serenity, your post did bring a little smile to my face.

There’s a few things I either no longer do and others that I now get enjoyment from, now that I’m free of him. I think the strangest one for me is wearing a belt! He would rant (in a weird I’m joking but I’m serious kind of way!) about how he couldn’t stand it when people wore jeans with no belt. I took to wearing longer tops and would purposely not wear one! Now I’m back to wearing a belt again, or not if I couldn’t be bothered…

Also I hated gin & tonic when I was with him (realise now it was because he made them so darn strong!). Now its my preferred drink when out…

X

KIP.
      Participant

You do realise it was never about the tomatoes. They could have been the juiciest mouth watering tomatoes in the world and he would have raged. It was never about the tomatoes. I got a half hour meltdown over the wrong colour top milk! If I was you I would get a lovely big juicy beef tomato n make your favourite sandwich. I love toasted cheese, sliced beef tomato and chopped red onion all grilled. Big dollop of Branston pickle and f.you on the side 👏👏👏

Serenity
      Participant

Ha ha, thank you both.

Yes, I should do that, KIP. Buy myself the biggest and the best!

I Will Be Ok: enjoy your G&T, made exactly as you like it! x

White Rose
      Participant

Oh Serenity this made me laugh!
      I agree with KIP but then I am a serious tomato fan and could not survive without them. Maybe grow your own?
      Rice pud is my no go area – too terrified to make it in case it’s too solid, too runny, too sweet, not sweet enough, skin too brown, not enough skin…… aaaargghhhh!!

lover of no contact
      Participant

haha love the f.you on the side.

Serenity
      Participant

White Rose: my ex used to try to grow his own tomatoes in our garden, so insistent was he that the ones found in the shops were of sub-standard quality.

But, for one who believed he was a tomato expert, his tomatoes weren’t even that great, so I dare say I could do a better job if I tried.

LONC: Yes, KIP’s idea for a side is a great one !

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content