Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Tonight a joke was made by a family member about me being with another man and I told them not to say things like that as it wasn’t funny. The thought of me with another man right now makes me sick and the thought of someone putting their hands on me makes me feel scared and also sick. They said it was just a joke, they didn’t mean it and I was being “too sensitive”. Obviously I got upset started crying and left the room which then they said “I’m totally f****d off with this”…am I being to sensitive? The comments afterwards has also upset me and I can not stop crying about it.

Put the kettle on
      Participant

No you’re not being sensitive, they’ve been insensitive. I think people who haven’t experienced abuse don’t always understand. If you say you don’t like something you’re feelings and opinions should be respected

Courage157
      Participant

Anything that causes upset means your not being over sensitive… when you haven’t gone through it, they don’t understand…

fizzylem
      Participant

I would say understandably you are sensitive at the mo and that this person has been insensitive – could have handled this with compassion by apologising for the joke, saying something like I’m really sorry, I can see it’s not the time for jest; is there anything I can do to help? Or something like x

standtogether
      Participant

Being sensitive is such a strength too and brings so many wonderful qualities with it. I think Courage is right, people who haven’t been through abuse don’t quite understand the subtleties of what went on and how it has scared us. They were being insensitive and you were right to stand up for yourself on that.x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content