Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      swanlake
      Participant

I’m feeling quite lonely this evening. I’ve been trying to contact family but they are not responding.
      Things have taken a turn with my abuser who I have no contact with but am still experiencing financial abuse from. I want to remind my family to watch out, that they could be in danger as much as me. But how can I do that when they don’t respond to me, don’t take the abuse seriously and continue to abuse me in their own way? It’s so frustrating and saddening.

Bananaboat
      Participant

As harsh as it sounds, let them experience it. You can’t help those that don’t want it and it’s awful when your own family isn’t open & there for you. It’s often one of the reasons we end up in these relationships. You’ve tried to warn them and ultimately you don’t know if he will try anything, it could be another abuser tactic to make you look like the ‘crazy’ one, badmouthing him. Focus on you and what you can control for now xx

swanlake
      Participant

I’m scared that my family are silly enough to give away my location or other details to my abuser. They think that I should still be in touch with them to sort out the financial abuse but of course my abuser just wants to abuse.
      I’d hope that if anything physically violent happened they’d just call the police but as we know abusers have a way of talking their way out of police involvement. My family’s usual reaction to domestic violence amongst friends, neighbours, other family members etc is to ignore it and blame the abused person, as they did with me. They are warped.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content