Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Lightness
      Participant

Has anyone tried TRE – Trauma Releasing Exercises?
      I’ve just given it a go – seems good!
      I aim to do each day for a while to see if it helps my anxiety

It is based on the idea that animals ‘shake’ to release trauma.
      It doesn’t take long and can be done at home with no equipment.

I’d be interested to hear if others have found it helpful

Lx

iwillbeok
      Participant

Off to Google…. x

Lightness
      Participant

Great!

I couldn’t shake after I did the exercises the first time, so I did them again, to further fatigue the muscles, and then managed to shake a bit. After a while of changing leg position I managed to shake loads. I let the shaking continue for about 15 mins but it felt like it could have gone on indefinitely.

The haters gonna hate hate hate – I’m just gonna shake it off, shake it off!

Serenity
      Participant

Thanks, Lightness, this sounds really interesting.

I’m willing to try anything, me!

I will give it a go this week. x

Lightness
      Participant

Great – don’t give up if you can’t get a shake at first. I find it hard to get shaking at first but when it starts it gets easier. I got shakes inmy upper and lower body today. The upper body sshakes gave me the giggles.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

This is really interesting. When I first escaped, I could not stop myself shaking. It went on for about 4 days. I remember googling it and it said to just allow the body to shake and that it was the body releasing the trauma or something. It helped to just let go and allow it even though it was really alarming at the time. I’m not sure I’d want to deliberately induce it but if it helps release the deeper rooted traumas then it sounds like it’s worth it. Let us know how it goes, thanks for sharing. 🙂

Lightness
      Participant

Hi Sunshine
      Yes I also had the shakes when I left. It was horrible. Interesting you had that too.
      This past week there have been a lot of triggers , leading me to have a horrid anxious, trembling feeling in my upper body (before I tried TRE). The TRE shaking feels very different to me. It is mostly in the lower body and doesn’t have the anxiety sensations. It is like a release. Also I have found it very easy to control the TRE shaking – ie. I can stop it as soon as I want to.
      Lx

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

That sounds very positive Lightness, I am glad it is helping and that the induced shaking feels soothing rather than anxiety inducing. I will look it up. It’s good there are these different options for helping us deal with the trauma, sometimes I worry that he’ll be on my mind for the rest of my life, it would be great to release all of the trauma and not have him on my mind so much. xx

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content