Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Escapee
      Participant

Hi all,

Once you’ve left a long-term abusive relationship, how long does it take before the triggers lessen? Or am I stuck with these for life?

Thank you xx

skidaddling
      Participant

Hello Escapee,

Well done for getting out.

In my experience acknowledgement and kindness, help lessen triggers.

I am newly out of a controlling relationship and am learning about my triggers. On a good day, it feels like part of the process of relearning who I am. On a bad one, well I freeze up.

But we deserve to be free of the after-effects. And I hope you are soon.

best wishes fellow traveller x

Escapee
      Participant

Hi Skidaddling (love that name!!)

Thank you.

I’m glad you’re out too 😊.

I’m having to be so aware of my triggers because they can really set me back to the point I have to totally retreat and shut myself off from the world!

I hope you’re healing.

Xx

Bluelines
      Participant

Hi

I’m (detail removed by moderator) years out , the triggers do lessen over time and more importantly you learn to recognise them and accept the feelings knowing they WILL pass

I will retreat too but sometimes fiends come along at the right time to give you a lift

Know that every time you overcome a set back you are stronger and healing

Take care

Borntobefree
      Participant

Hi
      Ive been out quite a while now ..its,not that that often I get triggered … few,weeks,a go I had a huge one took me four days,to recover … I just happy I got a loving family and furbabies,to help me tjrough ..

Escapee
      Participant

Thank you for your answers. It helps so much to know that I’m not alone as I ricochet through this thing called recovery.

I would be lost without the friendship and support I have found on this forum.

I keep getting little break throughs and each time I understand a little more.

And yes, thank heavens for fur babies!
      X*x

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi Escapee, I’m sending you the biggest hug. I’ve not been on for a while as some of the stories were triggering me, but I’m glad I did tonight because I’ve just read that you got away too. Just take each day slowly, baby steps afterwards is just as important as it was in the lead up to leaving. I’m still in refuge but looking to get my own place soon and then I can have my furbaby with me all of the time. He’s using her as leverage the now, saying that he can’t watch () dogs, which I know is rubbish, cos I did it before I left and we had another one then too. That I need to take her with me or he’s going to get her adopted which has changed from getting them put down as he doesn’t trust anyone to be good to them!!! I know how rich does that sound. They truly are deluded creatures.
      Anyway just wanted to say well done, be kind to yourself. Much love
      IWMB 💞💞

Escapee
      Participant

IWMB…well done you!!!!!! ♥️

I hope you get your fur baby with you very, very soon! You are so brave going into the refuge – I wish I could give you a huge hug – close you eyes and imagine arms wrapped around you giving you a gentle squeeze – that’s me giving you the hug you deserve and goodness knows we need a lot of those at the moment!

I am so, so happy for you!! Xxxx

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content