Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Winterblues2
      Participant

I’ve been out for several years but one things that still triggers me is the sound of cars/car doors outside my house.

I think this relates to his arrest and removal from the house as when I hear vehicles outside I don’t necessarily think it’s him, but I worry it’s the police. Odd really given that that marked the start of my freedom.

Could it be because I didn’t know it was going to happen and therefore I link it to uncontrollable change? Ideas please, it’s really bugging me especially as I’m no longer jumpy when it is him (child contact) but any other unpredictable vehicle movement scares me!

Falling Skys
      Participant

Hi

I have a thing about other people locking/shutting doors I still have the need to know I can get out.

If you think of what we have been through its not surprising we still have triggers.

FS xx

KIP.
      Participant

That’s something that still makes me jump. I think it’s the not knowing, the unexpected noise. I hear a car door then freeze for a few seconds. I remember the car door when he came home drunk or sober and I didn’t know what was coming. Think of the positive things that do not trigger you. Recovery takes a long time and there will be blips along the way. You deserve credit for getting this far when still in toxic contact X

Nova
      Participant

..triggers the door opening…the door closing ..

Cuppa

Suntree
      Participant

I used to put blocks of ice on my thighs when I had flashbacks.
      It was my way of helping with PTS and for me it worked the best.
      Once you reckonise the triggers you cans start dealing with them.
      Try the web to see if there is any information that would be a good fit for you.
      I used to jump with car doors and noises too outside the house.
      There are times now where I still jump, but each time I don’t I pat myself on the back.
      I also had things to remind me I was safe and okay, they were twiddle things. A necklace from my family.
      martra’s in my head that I would say everytime I saw a mirror or my arm etc in other words 100’s of times a day.
      I also thought that if the brain can trigger to bad stuff we can also trigger to good stuff.
      So I started putting lots of those into place. Music that made me smile and dance, smells like lavender that were calm. learning to breath etc
      Practice these things when not triggering allowed me to be able to do them when a trigger happened.
      I now don’t trigger as often and when I do the intensity isn’t as strong.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content