Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      free
      Participant

Hello, I am new here and I am finding it hard to Trust people friends don’t speak to me anymore now they know about my past.There was a man I was beginning to trust and now his personality has changed towards me I just feel so alone.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Hi free,

Welcome to the forum. I can relate to how you feel, a lot of people who experience abuse struggle with friendships and trusting people. A lot of people don’t understand, and after we have experienced abuse, we see red flags everywhere. I think it’s a healthy protection mechanism kicking in for when we are vulnerable and need to put our trust mainly in ourselves. It is best to avoid meeting any new men while you are recovering, because unfortunately we tend to attract other abusers when we are healing as they can sense the vulnerability. It is tempting to run into the arms of another man for ‘safety’ and ‘comfort’ but I have learnt that the safety and comfort needs to come from within.

In time, once you rebuild your life you will make new friends and learn to trust again, but most importantly, you won’t give your trust out to undeserving people, and only give it once it is earned.

Keep posting, you will meet many kind and supportive women here who understand.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello free,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. It must have taken a lot of courage to reach out for support so i’m pleased you found us. I hope you find support here from others who understand what you have experienced and how you are feeling.

Are you in contact with your local support group? They can offer ongoing emotional and practical support and are a way to be with others who understand. You can find your local group here.

We will be here for you whenever you need to offload so please do keep posting to us.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content