Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

I’ve just watched a very good programme, Doctor in the House.

A GP lives in with a family for over 24 hours, to try to pinpoint the cause or to help improve a health problem they might be suffering from.

Apparently, next week it will include the case of a lady who has suffered from panic attacks for 10 years.

It’s on Monday, 9-10pm.

Nova
      Participant

Thanks Serenity X

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks Serenity it would be good to watch it x

Serenity
      Participant

It was a good episode!

The lady with panic attacks was diagnosed with PTSD.

Serenity
      Participant

I wanted to say that watching the episode made me realise how we are our own harshest critics.

This lady hadn’t got proper help over the years- even though her anxiety came on following a traumatic experience. She hadn’t even considered it could be PTSD, and lived under this threatening cloud every day for many years, self-medicating with alcohol even in her lunch break.

The doctor was so sympathetic and determined to find out the cause, and she was wary of treatment and first but you could see by the end how getting help had begun to release her from her prison.

She was very defensive at first, worrying that she would be accused of bringing it upon herself with the unhealthy habits, when it was her way of coping. She just needed someone to not judge her and to genuinely want to help for her to make the move to a better lifestyle which included real respect for her body and her illness.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content