Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

My mam seems to think she can treat me poorly because I’m as adult now – she doesn’t seem to realise or care that I’m still her child even though I’m an adult, and that regardless she shouldn’t treat anyone the way she does me. The way she treat my siblings is polar opposite to how she speaks to me and I’m tired of feeling so worthless

KIP.
      Participant

Hey, just because she’s your mother doesn’t mean she has the skills or even the motherly feelings that you do. Please don’t look at her for support or validation. I have a mother too that has been extremely cruel and even when it’s pointed out she will defend her actions and justify them, just like my abuser. The best way to deal with these people is to keep your distance, rely on them for nothing, don’t ever be in their debt or give them anything they can use against you. Being biologically connected doesn’t give them any right to abuse you. Look after yourself. Set your own boundaries and stick to them.

thankgoodness
      Participant

Sorry about the abuse you’re going through, it hurts a lot when a family member is an enemy.

Abusive people have underlying mental issues, if the person can hurt you, the person can hurt others too.

I’m going through familial abuse but it’s my brother who is the abuser, he hurts everyone.

Stay strong xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the replies. I’ve pointed out the way she treats me before and she’s told me that I don’t deserve the same privilege (of being treat well) as other family members. The fact she thinks treating people well is a privilege in itself is messed up. I tend to label her actions so those around me recognise that that is what she’s doing, but I’ll get a text from her telling me not to accuse her of things etc she’s always making me feel like I’m in the wrong when I’m trying to defend myself

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content