Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Tiredone
      Participant

I’ve been having some really vivid nightmares about my ex again. They had stopped for a couple of months but they’re back with a vengeance now and I’m scared to go to sleep. I wake up from them terrified and in pain, which is odd, and then can’t go back to sleep. The other day I dreamt that my ex burnt my arm with an iron and my arm was stinging when I woke up. Weird, right?

I’m so exhausted because I’m not sleeping properly and it’s affecting very aspect of my life. I’m stressed at work and making silly mistakes… It’s been (detail removed by Moderator) since we broke up so people are losing their patience with me because they think I should be over it.

I was hoping that my PTSD had magically gone away but it hasn’t. Do any of you ladies still have nightmares? Or am I going crazy?

KIP.
      Participant

No you’re not going crazy. No one told me that PTSD would come back and bite me. If they had I would have been prepared. It’s a terrible disorder in that just when you think you’ve recovered. Out of nowhere the nightmares or flashbacks or triggers can pounce. I found a really really good therapist who helped me rewire my thoughts. When they come now they’re nowhere near as upsetting. It was a terrible process with the clinical psychologist but we addressed the triggers and talked through them for what they were. I thought recovery was very much in a cycle. Like the cycle of abuse. A good happy period then a build up of anxiety, then the upsetting triggers, nightmares and depression. Then bounce back, pick myself up and carry on. That cycle is nowhere near as frequent now. Try to get some good therapy x

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content