Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Milkshake@
      Participant

Not sure if ok to ask but I’ve got to Tod a victim personal statement but I just don’t know what to put in it?

Any advice

maddog
      Participant

I expect you’ll get help from Women’s Aid. If you call 101 and ask for the Domestic Abuse team, they will also probably know someone who can help you. Citizen’s Advice will also be able to support you. You really don’t have to do this alone. The Court Said is another really helpful resource and of course Rights of Women.

Milkshake@
      Participant

Thank you

Bettertimesahead
      Participant

I did mine over the phone during pandemic, the police were very helpful. They asked questions and helped me formulate my statement

Wants To Help
      Participant

Hi milkshake,

the VPS is a statement that you make that can be read to the court on how the situation has impacted your life. It really is your words so no one should be advising you what to put in it. It can be as long or short as you want it to be. The police should have given you a booklet about it, if you haven’t got one then ask your investigating officer to email it or post it to you.

What you need to be aware of is that the VPS is disclosed to the defence so your ex will know what is in it. Some people choose not to make one because they don’t want their ex to know the impact their actions have made on them. For example some women may that they feel unsafe in their own home and cannot sleep without a light on, but they don’t want their ex to know this.

To reiterate, you do not have to make one, but you have to be given the option to make one.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content