Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      OUTTHEOTHERSIDE
      Participant

Has anyone left but all the bills were in your name? I want to leave but all the bills are in my name what can i do to try to make sure im not left in debt because of him. I dont currently work. Any advice greatly appreciated.

KIP.
      Participant

Hi there, citizens advice have a great helpline and can talk you through this. Financial abuse is a crime too. Your local women’s aid can help. There’s also the national domestic abuse helpline who can advise you too. Many abusers get us into debt to trap us, to prevent us from leaving them.

OUTTHEOTHERSIDE
      Participant

Hi Kip thankyou for your suggestions but none of them seem to be able to help unfortunately.

KIP.
      Participant

Can you add his names to the bills? What bills are they? If it’s household bills like gas and electricity then phone them yourself and add his name if he lives there.

KIP.
      Participant

If he is in employment they’re more likely to chase him for the debt.

LivingMyLife
      Participant

What bills are they? Utilities or debt bills?

Eggshells
      Participant

I just rang the companies and asked them. I explained that I had left an abusive relationship and no longer in the family home. They closed the accounts for me and contacted my ex to set up new accounts. It was really easy. The only one that I couldn’t do it with was the WiFi. They couldn’t transfer the account. I either had to close the account and pay an exit fee or just keep paying the bill. However, if you are moving into your own home, you can usually just transfer your number and WiFi package to your new address.

Eggshells
      Participant

Actually, I rang most of them beforehand to find out what I needed to do. I explained that I couldn’t do anything before my leaving date as it was not safe to alert my OH that I was leaving. Honestly, all except WiFi were amazing. xx

OUTTHEOTHERSIDE
      Participant

Thats sounds very reassuring.Thankyou for your reply.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content