Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Iwantmeback
      Participant

I removed my wedding ring when I realised my marriage, my husband was/is abusive.
      I no longer miss it not being on, I no longer go to rub the inside of my finger, play with a ring that’s not on anymore. I was watching a programme earlier and it was this action that I noticed. And it dawned on me that I don’t do it anymore. it just made me think 😔

EbonyRaven
      Participant

When we first separated I wore mine on the other hand. Even then I still tried to fiddle with them on the left hand for ages.
      He didn’t notice when I stopped wearing them entirely. I’m glad I did that whilst letting go of my hopes for us, and coming to terms with the next steps.
      I imagine it would be a trigger and reminder for a long time otherwise.

maddog
      Participant

I took mine off too when I realised he was being abusive. I expect I’ll sell it to pay for legal bills although it won’t get me very far!!

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

I took mine off for just a moment after he was really nasty to me, it felt so liberating, I could breathe. When I put it back on, it felt like going back to prison. Sight.

Then when I went to live with my sister, I threw it out of the window with great force, as a symbolic gesture that I no longer belong to him. I made sure it lands in the middle of high grass to I can’t go back and fetch it.
      I also missed the feeling to play with my ring for quite awhile after that. I started to wear more bracelets instead.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I threw my ring off when my mind was trying to tell me to get out. I did not. I even went out and bought a new one.

ashestobeauty
      Participant

I sold my wedding and engagement rings and took my son and me for a weekend away. Now we have a nice memory. Xx

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content