Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve left the marital home and my kids because of my mental health, living in a volatile house with someone who can’t accept its over will be the ending of me, I’m sure. I’m seeing my children everyday and paying the bills. He refuses to leave leave the house but is ‘looking’ I own the house outright. (Detail removed by moderator) he asked me for my keys back, I said no. Obviously I know it looks like I’ve ditched my kids but he won’t allow me to take them. What are my rights here?

iliketea
      Participant

Hi, can you contact a solicitor and ask them, they all do free half hours or sometimes an hour. It seems straightforward if its your house. If you own the house outright then its yours and he has no rights to be there. You can apply for an Occupation Order to get him out. There will be an application for a Non-Molestation order at the same time. You need to have evidence. I think I’ve posted that before. Does your GP know? Do you have contact with your local Womens Aid? Or local domestic abuse service (sometimes they’re different and not womens Aid). You haven’t ditched your children, you have left an abusive house. I think you should call the police and speak to an officer who deals in domestic abuse. I’ll bump a post that WantsToHelp wrote about how they can help too.
      Can you try and call Rights of Women? https://rightsofwomen.org.uk/
      There is a lot of good advice on their website too. And on the main Woman’s Aid one with factsheets on Occupation Orders. Its very straightforward if its your house, he has to leave. Don’t give your keys back.
      I’ll bump the posts that have the information.
      I really think you need someone on the ground there with you to help you through this. Can you go to your GP and speak to them? And ask for a referral to a DA service?

xx

Hi
      I’ve actually just looked at my docs notes and it says I’m been emotionally abused. So that should go in my favour shouldn’t it? I’m ringing my local domestic abuse team tomorrow and go from there. Thithank you for your advice.

seaglass
      Participant

Hi, I have recently spoken to 2 solicitors, the first one through my local woman’s aid, which was a free telephone appointment. I asked a similar question as The house we live in is not my partners at all, he has no claim over it so legally. However we are not married so I don’t know if this changes anything? My local WA were really good though, and I very quickly was able to get some free legal advice, so they may be a good starting point.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content