Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Bananaboat
      Participant

I want to contact my GP and look at some extra support but I’m not sure what to say or ask for. I don’t ask for help easily so it’s a big step for me. I was just wondering what kind of things you said to your GP’s and secondly, do I have to tell the receptionist why I’m calling?

Emptyshell7
      Participant

I hate it when receptionists ask why we’re calling. I’m sure you can just say it’s sensitive and would rather not say (would this fall under GDPR?). I’d be interested to know how you get on with the GP though. I guess just be honest, but then would they just direct you to Women’s Aid? I don’t know how much GP’s would get involved. Or are you more looking for support with your mental health because of the abuse?

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hi Bananaboat

I know its hard to reach out and I do feel for you in this, especially if you have never really had contact with your GP and therefore feel a bit like they are a stranger to you, for discussing something so difficult to speak about.

You can go to any GP anywhere, you can choose a female if you prefer, or go to another practice, anyone can be seen on a temporary basis.

When you suffer deomestic abuse you will be affacted psychologically and emotionally, and maybe also physcially, please don’t be ashamed of admitting what has been happening to you. They will appreciate the harms that DA brings to their patients, and it is their job to support you in any way they can, this can include counselling, discussing options with you, signposting to other organisations, and generally being there as someone to stay in contact with for ongoing support. They also advocate for you, so if you needed evidence, they can supply evidence from the medical side, only if you give permission for this. They can never just give information to others without your permission unless they felt you were in immient danger from yourself or others, or to others, and children.

There is nothing I can say you ‘should’ say, other than your own words of how it is making you feel, or what has been happening. Be honest with regards to any fear, shame, or guilt, and you may wish to test the water to check whether this is a gp that is going to work well with you before divulging more that is absolutely essential.

Good luck, its a big step to take, but hopefully, with the right GP a big support for you.
      warmest wishes

ts

Grey Rock
      Participant

Some surgeries say that they’re ‘domestic abuse aware’ and have info on their website about this…

“Domestic Abuse Aware Practice
      We are an IRIS (Identification and Referral to Improve Safety) practice which means you can talk to our doctors, nurses and other staff working here, if you are being hurt or controlled by your current or ex-partner or are afraid of someone at home or a member of your family.

The IRIS service is for all patients and staff, both women and men who are aged 16 or over.

Social isolation can increase stress at home, impacting on you and your family’s well-being and so, we are here to help you.

Please contact us for help and advice, and you will then be referred to our IRIS worker known as the IRIS Advocate Educator.

You can also self-refer by ringing the IRIS office directly on 0161 820 8416 between 9:00am and 4:30pm’

It might be worth checking to see if your surgery is one of these xx

Same-again
      Participant

Hi, I found my GP to be brilliant. It took time to build a trusting relationship so I didn’t tell her the whole story.
      In the end she was ringing me every week (I was suicidal at times) and she was a rock.

Reach out, it’s hard at first. I found for me it was very much in bits & never really the whole. However, she was there for me.

Best of luck, you do right. Reach out. Xx

Bananaboat
      Participant

Thank you all, I’ve not braved the call yet and keep mulling it over and over in my head, but it’s helpful to hear your experience and advice.xx

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content