Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      gettingtired
      Participant

This probably sounds stupid but what actually happens when you call Women’s Aid? Does an advisor answer and just let you tell them what’s going on?
      I spent over 2 hours on the phone to a close friend recently (the only person who knows some of what’s going on) and I didnt even talk about all the worst parts which I’m too embarassed to so imagine how long it would take for me to explain absolutely everything!?
      How will they have time for me to tell them everything? Are the advisors trained in domestic abuse?
      Can they refer you for DA counselling?
      Can anyone else tell me what happened when they called please?

I know I need to call them but I’m really scared!

KIP.
      Participant

Please don’t be scared. They were fabulous. Theyre all trained and won’t force you to do anything you dont want to. They will talk to you briefly and hopefully give you an appointment to speak to a support worker who will see what you need. Housing, refuge, counselling, etc. I was given the book Living with the Dominator. It was a real eye opener. They’re also very aware of the fact you need total confidentiality. I went in a state of crisis and just turned up in tears. I saw the duty worker, she was fantastic. They can help you report to the police or get support for your safety. They absolutely saved me x

gettingtired
        Participant

Thanks @KIP, I’m too scared to go into see someone face to face though. Can you not just do a telephone appointment with a support worker? It will be difficult for me to book an appt to speak to them as I’m always with him whenever I’m not at work. It’s so hard to make any plans whatsoever being with him because everything always revolves around him in some way or another 🙄 xx

KIP.
      Participant

I’d start By phoning your local branch. The national domestic abuse helpline is there too.

KIP.
      Participant

There’s always a duty officer at my local branch so you can talk to them. I suppose they may not even be doing face to face because of covid x Keep the number secret and just ring when you’re free and feeling strong. I know it’s anxiety inducing but that because Of the abuse x it was the start of recovery for me. You won’t get another organization that understands better x

gettingtired
        Participant

Thank you @KIP, I’m hoping I can call them tomorrow. Trying to be strong x

Beautifulday
      Participant

@gettingtired

Heres my experience calling womens aid

I googled my local branch i rang a lovely lady answered and I said can I please talk to someone she said yes of course and arranged with me a time that would suit me and a day, they don’t just call because you may be with your abuser.

So I had the appointment booked for the next day and I was a bag of nerves I won’t lie! I went in my car to speak. She rang on the dot as planned
      First she took some details basic details such as name address etc but she told me they will never come to my home or send postal things its just for their use everyone has to do this.

Once that was out of the way she asked if I would like to talk and let her know whats happening at first I couldn’t get it out felt stupid, felt a fraud but once I starred I couldn’t stop!! We spoke for well over an hour I never felt rushed and she listened to me, she was shocked told me yes its abuse , she started going through things like a sort of plan to help me think about next steps, asked if I was seeking refuge, I said no but if I did need it she told me not to hesitate to call her back.

I asked about counselling and she was able to refer me I had to fill in a form I think its a bit of acwaiting list but at least I’ve been referred.

She’s kept in touch via email which is brilliant and if im ever having a bad day I drop her an email and she’s there for me , she gave me info about claires law and also asked if I would like to do the freedom programme.

I am so glad I made that call it makes you feel stronger so please do it lovely xx

gettingtired
        Participant

Thanks very much @beautifulday. I’m hoping to call them tomorrow. Just want to cut all trauma bonds so that I can leave him without feeling guilt ridden, heartbroken, so sorry for him etc
        Not sure how it works but I dont see how else i will ever have the strength to leave. Thanks again x

Mummyof2xx
      Participant

I am the same.
      I’ve emailed women’s aid on Thursday but that’s the furthest I have got so far.
      I’m so worried to call them and don’t know what to expect etc

gettingtired
        Participant

Hi @mummyof2xx, I emailed them last Thursday and then today about something different. They’ve replied and were really helpful. I’ve also messaged the moderator on the forum who is very helpful and respond quicker than the helpline email. I’m hoping I can build up the strength to ring up tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes if I do. If I can do it then I’m sure you can too, I am feeling so weak and helpless but know I need to do it for my own sanity xx

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content