Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Scapegoat
      Participant

Could somebody explain to me what the freedom Programme is please? My employers are trying to encourage me to go but I am worried 1) that my oh will find out and 2) that it is a group thing and because I teach I don’t really want everybody knowing what I go through

Fudgecake
      Participant

I found the programme very good and also meeting other women who were going through what I am gave me a feeling of not being alone in this, that I wasn’t mad and that yes it happens to people like me. You could ask to go to a programme outside of your area if you’re worrying about meeting people there you know. But you do make an agreement with each other and the programme leader that what is said and who is there is kept in that room and goes no further. I have bumped into girls from my meetings on occasion. We don’t stop and speak but give each other a knowing and reassuring smile.

KIP.
      Participant

Hi, my understanding is it’s based on Living with the Dominator book which would be great for you to read but it can also be done online if you google it. I was not ready to be around victims so I found it quite triggering when I went along and didn’t go back but I’ve heard wonderful things about others meeting fellow survivors one making life long friends. Your partner doesn’t have to know at all however I understand the anxiety that comes with hiding things from our abuser if we are in the grip of their control. I’d definitely recommend you do it in one form or another and definitely read the book x keep posting on here too. It’s a wealth of knowledge. KIP x Knowledge Is Power x

Scapegoat
      Participant

I just feel like I’m going to have a heart attack shortly am so anxious about everything. Can’t even go to hospital appointments without accusations being made. To make things worse he just denies i/throws a tantrum or blames it on me speaking over the top of him. Cannot go to a group thing I live and work in middle of council estate, everybody loves a bit of gossip…they would nor be happy I was teaching their children and feeling like I’m going mad

Newbeginnings1234
      Participant

You can also do the Freedom Programme online, although it might be difficult if you’re still living with your partner x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content